Could this be dropsy, bloating, something else, in my African dwarf frog?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Love2Live2Love

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, 2 days ago I fed my African dwarf frogs freeze dried blood worms. I didn't know they expanded in their stomachs and I may have overfed. Yesterday I noticed the one frog was bloated so I didn't feed them. Today, he looks more bloated. Help?! Here's a pic of him yesterday, when I caught them mating and then 2 from today. Please tell me what you think I should do.20170827_081844.jpg20170828_110351.jpg20170828_110915.jpg

Considering his romantic urges haven't diminished its pretty safe to say your frog is feeling no pain from his big belly. I believe "Dropsy" is a fish only symptom of an intestinal bacteria infection. Blood worms are simply an insect larva, maybe the freeze drying process might cause some expansion of the product once exposed to moisture. Probably not lethal. I would just hold off feeding for a day or two more.
My wife keeps two gray tree frogs in her terrarium. I'm assigned all related maintenance chores for her frogs including feeding. She mists the plants. I feed the frogs grasshoppers crickets, worms and moths that I catch in the yard during the warm months. Might try doing the same for your dwarf frogs. Just make sure the insects are small. I took this photo of one of the tree frogs, right after he ate two or three small grasshoppers. His belly is big too. No worries.

Attachments

• 20170828_130246.jpg
    20170828_130246.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 162
Lol ok thanks! I'll keep a watchful eye... He still comes up for air, moves around the tank, etc.... So that's hopefully a good thing!

Back
Top Bottom