Does anyone know anything about frogs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cleggat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was thinking about getting a frog, although for a 10 gallon, to be kept itself or with company if needed. I was wondering if anyone knew any frogs that would fit this description, if so, what do the eat? How do they behave? Thanks.

Are you looking for aquatic frogs, semi-aquatic, or strictly land-based frogs?

African Dwarf Frogs are great. I have 2 of them and they are fun to watch. Very interesting and entertaining characteristics.

I agree. That or African Clawed frogs are your options. Personally I enjoy the African Dwarf frogs. You could definitely keep more than 1 in your 10 gallon, and I encourage that because they are more fun to watch in groups. My boyfriend had 2 of them in a tiny tiny tank (before we were interested in researching aquatic beings) and they lived for over 8 years before dying in a house fire. I am sure they would have lived longer if given the chance. So, their life spans can be quite long. But in return you get an entertaining pet that is very easy to care for.

Ah right, I researched a bit and you can hand feed them etc, they sound quite cool, I saw a few of the frogs in one of my lfs, thanks for the advice :D

I you can go any bigger than a 10 gallon or are willing to rehome as they grow I enjoy the African clawed frogs much more than the dwarves. They are much larger and more entertaining. They also come in albino if you like that.

Ah, how big a tank would the clawed frogs need? And how much air access?

Females are much larger than males, males would probably need a 20, but either could do well in a 10 for a while. They are completely aquatium so as long as they can pole their nose out to get air they are fine, but aeration and high water quality are still important.

^^ Yup! You could keep one in a 10 for a while, moving up to a 20 eventually. I've also heard that a 30 is fine for 2.

Thanks to everyone who posted, it pretty much looks like we're getting African Dwarf Frogs :)

I've 2 African Dwarf frogs and feed them frozen Bloodworm (defrosted) using long 10 " tweezers. They are in a tank with a Betta. give them something to hide behind / in as they can be quite shy at first until settled. Now when I lift the lid to feed them I swear ones tapping his foot looking at a watch thinking roomservice is lacking lol

Richard

Richard

Back
Top Bottom