Feeding ADF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kathleen55

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just recently got an ADF, but im not quite sure how to feed her. I bought blood worms and aquatic frog pellets. I've heard of hand feeding but she doesnt trust my hand yet. Im also worried that the pellets are getting lost in the gravel. any suggestions?

Congrats on your froggy! :D I have 2 ADF's and they're a blast!

With feedings, you can try placing a small food dish, (the ones you can find in the reptile section of your LFS), in your gravel and direct the food to fall into it. Just make sure the bowl is pushed down into the gravel so your ADF won't get caught under it.

Once your ADF learns where the food is located, she should start going to that same spot for food. I've had pretty good luck w/ my frogs learning this when they were young and in my 10g. Now they're in my 55g and they have no problem "tracking down" food.

If the dish method doesn't work after a few days, you may need to use a turkey baster and place the food in front of her. Of course, w/ her being twitchy about your hand, who know how she would react to a turkey baster.

If it's one thing I've noticed about ADF's is that they do best w/ a set routine. Feeding your frog at the same time every day will help. Also, they can be quite social, so adding another ADF to your tank could be beneficial.

Hope this helps! Good luck! :D

Last edited:
okay i will definitly try that. thanks so much! i should be getting another aquarium tomorrow so then i could get her some friends. ^_^ i havent come up with a name for her yet. any ideas? thanks again!

okay i will definitly try that. thanks so much! i should be getting another aquarium tomorrow so then i could get her some friends. ^_^ i havent come up with a name for her yet. any ideas? thanks again!

You're welcome! :D

I've always liked the name, Vada, (ever since I saw the movie, "My Girl"). Odd part is, I've never named any of my critters Vada. lol

Sam and Elliott. I couldn't tell if they were male or female when I got them, so I wanted to go w/ gender neutral names. It just happened that I was watching a movie w/ Sam Elliott in it... and there you go. :D

:D I have some pics of them in my 55g photo album, (I have a direct link in my signature), if you want to check them out.

I'm heading to bed now, but let me know how your ADF does w/ the feedings. It may take her a few days to get into a routine, but patience is key. However, should she not take to the dish method, the baster will most definitely do the trick, (it's just more work on your behalf). Good luck! :D

:D I have some pics of them in my 55g photo album, (I have a direct link in my signature), if you want to check them out.

I'm heading to bed now, but let me know how your ADF does w/ the feedings. It may take her a few days to get into a routine, but patience is key. However, should she not take to the dish method, the baster will most definitely do the trick, (it's just more work on your behalf). Good luck! :D

wow your tanks look great! very pretty :) i tried hand feeding my adf and she is a little bit more comfortable with my hand big improvmen. if that doesnt work ill get her a dish

I found this video on YouTube and I thought it was great: if you search for "feeding african dwarf frogs" there are others, I just thought this was a good step-by-step video. And I love the large tweezers he uses to feed!

thanks that was very helpful! :)

I wouldn't underestimate your ADF's nose. I've got one in my 30-gallon, and he seems to do alright for himself without any special work on my part.

Without any set schedule, I feed a thawed cube of either bloodworms or brine shrimp to the tank. He is always able to sniff out the stuff that falls to the bottom.

It does help, though, when it stays in a bit of a clump as opposed to completely dissipating in the water.

Back
Top Bottom