Feeding AFD and Bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kherm89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there,

I have a 29 gallon planted tank. I have 3 ADF's and 5 female bettas. I'm having a bit of trouble feeding them. That is, the betta's are gluttons!

I got my ADF's first and had them for about a month before I got the bettas last week. I hand feed my ADF's which I planned to teach them (to take a blood worm from my fingers) so I know they get the food. The turkey baster works as well but I have to bat away the fish now at the same time. They even nip at me trying to get to a bloodworm for the frogs. I tried putting some blood worms on one side of the tank in the water to distract them while I fed the frogs, which worked for about 15 seconds and they were back. I'm trying to not overfeed the Betta's but they keep stealing bloodworms from the frogs and getting bloated. Tried feeding the frogs first to control them eating too much and then feed them after but they just go insane trying to get the bloodworms from the frogs.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to feed them without a complete feeding frenzy??

I feed the ADF's every other day so I've been feeding the Betta's similarly. Which is about how long it takes for them not to have bellies after a feeding. Will feeding the bettas more often help?

Will the Betta stop eating when they're full? I'm afraid they won't because I have yet to see it and one or two get huge stomachs from stealing so much.
Thanks!

K

I have heard that putting the ADF's in a net and putting some bloodworms in there and letting them eat and then let them back in the tank and after a little while they will realize the net means food and be more willing to go to it. Also you could place the frogs in a breeders net so they could eat without the betta's stealing the worms and then release them back in the tank. I had a male betta fish with 2 ADF's and sometimes I would take the frogs out of the tank to allow them to eat in peace without my betta fish eating them all and getting bloated. And yes betta fish will eat for as long as you supply the food for.

Back
Top Bottom