Filter Loud

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cuvac

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey,

Today, I bought a new fish tank (8 gallons) for my goldfish. Along with it I bought a new hang-on filter. But this filter makes a lot of noise. Very much the sound of vibration. As the tank is in my bedroom, this isn't optimal and I took the filter back to my LFS. There they put it in a tank and there was no noise.... The glass there was thicker though and I think that might be the issue with my tank. When I hold the filter in my hand in the middle of the tank I barely hear the filter, but when it's hung up against the glass it's very loud. Does my glass let through too much noise of the vibration? Somewhere I read that a newly set up tank might have too much oxygen in it and that causes vibration noise coming from the filter. Can that be an issue?

If my filter is just this noisy, can I do something to reduce the amount of noise?

Cuvac

Glass thickness may be a good theory. I would look for your local Petco ad to find the $1/gal sale start date and get at least a 20g tank as that's the minimum suggested for a goldie and a larger filter. Then return the other setup completely. What you get on the return may cover the other costs of upgrading to a better sized tank.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

One thing you could try is to put something where the HOB filter contacts the side of the tank. A piece of foam, felt, or something cushiony to help with the vibration. It might help or it might not.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh, I may have used the wrong term here. I don't have a HOB filter, but a filter that hangs on to the glass in the tank.

And, I have fancy goldfish and realise this tank is on the small side, but an upgrade is in the making for when I move and have a room for fish only.

No prob, got it. Internal filters can take up space in smaller tanks. Not sure how many goldfish you have but be thinking about a larger tank (30+) when you get around to upgrading. When you used the words "upgrade", "8 gallons", and "goldfish" in the same sentence, that will probably generate some responses about the tank size not matching the stock. Good thing is that you realize this. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom