Filter not clearing water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyouger

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all... New member here... Was hoping you all could help with an issue I seem to be having with my turtle tank.

It is a 55-60 gallon tank and I just recently updated my filter to a Penn-Plax 1500... I have 2 painted turtles one about 2 inches in diameter and one that is about 5 inches. In addition to the turtles, there are 2 Ryukins and 1 Plecostomus... The tank is filled about 90% (about 5 inches from the top) full so there is room for basking without the danger of the turtles pushing up the grate climbing out. The larger turtle just entered the environment a couple days ago...

Since the Penn-Plax 1500 can handle tanks up to 200 gallons, I felt this filter was more than adequate to keep the tank clear, however even with good flow from the filter, the tank seems to be getting a yellow tint to it with only being active for 1 week.

The trays have the course sponge at the bottom, carbon and Ceramic Rings with floss in each tray... Is this too muich floss? Should the trays with the Rings and Carbon just hold those items?

Thanks

Chris

Attachments

• 2019-01-06 11.08.25.jpg
    2019-01-06 11.08.25.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 128
All of these animals produce heavy amounts of waste. Its been recommended on this site that for goldfish you want a 10x turnover of your water. So for your 55-60g you are just under 6x turnover. I keep turtles and I know they are very dirty animals. Your options are add a bit more filtration like a second canister filter or start doing larger or more frequent water changes.

Along with the advice above, I would look into removing the pleco. The goldfish do a better job in finding uneaten food.
As for filtration, I would use the following (starting from the bottom): coarse sponge, floss, carbon/chemical media, bio/ceramic media.
Adding a pouch of Purigen to the filter will help clear up the tint in the water.

Thanks for your insight...

I have ordered purigin and will re-work the baskets when it arrives...should I have floss in each basket with the other media? I have seen feedback both ways...

Thanks again.

Don’t think floss is each basket is needed. If particulates pass through the initial floss, there is no guarantee that subsequent layers of floss will trap it. It won’t hurt though.

Hello. I'm new to this forum but have 1.5yrs exp. for what little I know now!!!!! I've have a penn plaxx casscade 1000 & they have a problem w/blow by( trays aren't tight fitting) & water flows around media instead of through it. I solved problem by packing filter floss on outside of bottom tray to redirect flow. Hope this helps you!

I believe that runs at 400 gph?? Probably less once you add filter media. For your size tank I'd buy another and run two of them. Especially with turtles, goldfish and a pleco.....all heavy poopers.

Back
Top Bottom