Filtration Questions for American Snapping Turtle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wy Renegade

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so first off, where is the reptile forum?

Evidently we don't have one of those, I hate to steal from the amphibians, but oh well. Every so many years, it seems that I have a student who comes in with a baby snapping turtle that they've found somewhere. For many years, I simply advised them to return them to wild (this after we tried one in a aquarium once and it drowned). However, as some of you may know if you've checked out my bog thread, three years ago we moved one into the bog. I have to admit that it was pretty interesting to have in the class, and it was adequetly accomidated within the bog. This years seems to be it again, as a young lady has told me that her boyfriend has one that he is unable to keep and it giving it to her, but she is looking for a temperary home for it.

Long story short, I have the new bigger bog which I've been working on which is built in a 30gal tank. By my calculations, the bog area will end up being about 6.3 gallons of water (significantly more than the 2 or so that the current bog holds). My questions are in regards to filtration. I have a aquaclear 30 which I picked up, and I also have a Whisper 30i which will be incorperated as a waterfall feature. My question is will the AC30 provide adequate filtration? What media should I be running in the filter? If its not enough filtration, I also have a ZooMed 501 (minicanister for turtle tanks), which I've had setting around for awhile as well which I could add. It has a spong filter, a carbon filter, and a ceramic noodle pack.

Please advise in regards to thoughts on media, as well as filters in general.

I think your good to go. Turtles are messy as said in another thread but seems like you have alot of filtration so it should be fine.

In regards to media turtle require nothing special just the usual filter sponge, filter floss combination works well on my turtle tank.

Back
Top Bottom