Fire Bellied Newt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youngster

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello! I am going to try and get some fire bellied newts. The place I found them at doesn't specify chinese or japanese, does it matter? Well I wondering what supplies I would need. I think I have everything, but I want to be sure.

20 gal tank with full hood
Tetrafauna Viquarium
50 lbs of gravel
Moss for the land section
Plants (fake)
Water Conditioner
Gravel Vacuum
Pellet food for newts
5 newts

I know that the newts might not accept the pellet food, but I figured it was better to just try the pellet over the crickets. if they don't like it, i'll buy crickets.

Am I missing anything? Because i feel like it..

Just a heads up with crickets, they WILL try to eat your newts given the opportunity. Find out what your LFS is currently feeding them, that's probably the best place to start, diet wise

Freakgecko91 said:
Just a heads up with crickets, they WILL try to eat your newts given the opportunity. Find out what your LFS is currently feeding them, that's probably the best place to start, diet wise

+1 on feeding them what they are eating at the store. I did this with my peacock eel( off topic a bit I'm sorry)

I'm getting them online so that won't work. I've heard a lot of different opinions about feeding them. Some places say frozen bloodworms, other say freeze-dried, others say they will only eat live foods, other say crickets,
lots of places say pellet food, and then still others say that is terrible for them. I'm confused; what should I feed them?:confused:

A few more questions:
How many FB newts can I put in my 20g?
Can I put zebra danios with them?
:thanks:

FYI

tetra-viquarium-500.jpg

this is what the tetrafauna viquarium is in case you didn't know. I've read that FBN need a 1:2 ratio of land to water, but would this be fine?
i would be adding a tree root thing to the water portion as well as moss to the land. and of course plants on both.

My Newt Tank

About my tank: I am 99% sure I am getting it. I will post pictures of the setup process and the final result. I will be getting the tank next friday or saturday, and then the newts the following week. I am getting 6 newts, in a 20 gallon viquarium. I hope this will be helpful to anyone else entering into the newt hobby.

Supplies
~20 gallon aquarium: 24x12x20
~Tetrafauna Viquarium (see previous post)
~50 lbs of dark brown gravel
~Fluker's Green Moss Bedding: for the land portion
~2 6" green sword plants (not live)
~Plant mat (trimmable)
~Anarcharis Plastic Plant
~Reptile and Newt Water Conditioner (tetra aquasafe)
~multipurpose glass cleaning tool
~gravel vacuum
~thermometer strip
~frozen bloodworms
~floating foodsticks, small
~6 japanese fire-bellied newts

I can't wait to get it set up! I will let you know when I'm sure about getting it!

Last edited:
I am now 100% sure I am getting the newts! Hooray! I'll be getting the tank either next friday or saturday. Don't know when I'll be getting the newts yet.

Looking at your 20 gallon tank. The zebra danios will def not work. Just stick with the newts, no fish.

Thanks! I agree that no fish would be best. It's my first time having newts, and I just want make sure there are no problems.

Just an update on my supplies list

20 gallon aquarium with hood
TetraFauna Viquarium Kit
50 lbs of dark brown gravel
small floating foodsticks
dried baby shrimp (treat)
dried mini krill (treat)
frozen bloodworms
green moss bedding
2 6" and 1 12" silk sword plants
plant mat (trimmable)
3 gallon holding container (for during water changes)
gravel vacuum
thermometer strip
6 fire bellied newts

are these chinese or japanese? i'm pretty sure they're japanese but I want to make sure.
fire-belly-newts.jpg

Don't be surprised, but I have yet another revision of my supply list for the newts. As with most of my tanks, the list is continually changing, right up until the actual purchase. This is my latest list, and I'm pretty satisfied with it.

Things that will NOT change again:
-20 gallon tank with hood
-TetraFauna Viquarium
-50 lbs of aquarium gravel
-Water conditioner
-gravel vacuum
-thermometer strip
-10 japanese fire bellied newts

Things that are unlikely to change, but may:
-Moss bedding (4 qt bag)
-2 6" silk sword plants
-12" silk sword plant
-Trimmable plant mat
-small floating foodsticks (tetrafauna reptomin)
-1.5 gallon plastic holding container
-3.2 gallon bucket for water changes
-multipurpose glass cleaning tool

Last edited by a moderator:
If all goes well I am getting the tank next saturday!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom