Healthy frog?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobnobelisk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, as some of you might know i recently got an african dwarf frog last sunday. Now i havent seen him eat all week and apparently they are greedy little buggers so i was abit worried. Tonight i put him in a breeding net and gave him some bloodworm and he happily nomed them up. Maybe its because my guppies eat all the food on the top and the 2 yoyo loaches i have get it on the bottom he isnt getting access to it. Is there any way i can get him speciffically to eat as he doesnt eat out of hand yet. Also will he be ok in the breeding net until tommorow night as im away for the weekend. That way i can make sure he eats lots of bloodworms before i go =) Thankyou in advance for your replys!

I knew he didnt have to eat every day but not once in a week i thought was odd all the food was gone before he could get to it though. Last night and today he ate like half a frozen cube of bloodworm. Just wondering if there was a way to get him easy access to food instead of the fish getting it all.

Yeah didnt think there would be one its easier to remove him to the net. How long can he stay in there for safely so i can make sure he is eating well then maybe when he is abit bigger and can challenge for food more i can put him back in.

i know a guy who keeps 2 of those frogs in a betta habitat- it's probably not more than 10cm x 10cm. they don't seem stressed by it.
sad to look at, but the frogs seem fine. i don't think your net is any worse.

Yeah i mean i just want to give him a better chance when he gets in the tank i think my net is probably 15 by 20cm so abit bigger. Maybe ill keep him in there for a couple of weeks with some plants get him fed up then he might be abit bigger and more challenging.

I have 1 ADF in my tank along with a fast female betta, snails plates and corys, the frog won't eat anything thats not directly in front of his face touching him, and the betta is crazy for bloodworms. I use a turkey baster, try squirting the bloodworms right in front of him, I've also used tweezers and a pair of extra long aquarium tweezers. Does he/she come to the front of the tank at a certain time? Mine always come out to the same place daily around feeding time waiting for his meal, eventually he'll get used to it, and try to scare the other fishes away by stirring up the water around them if they try to eat them.

Mine are very greedy feeders, but when they aren't hungry, they won't even bother, however, when they are ready to eat, they will find the food and the will muscle their way into it. My tank is loaded with bottom feeders (2 sun catfish, peacock eel, 6 cories, synod. cat, and an upside down cat, plus a very fat and greedy rainbow shark). Even with all that competition, the frogs find their pellets or the bloodworm cubes that hit the bottom (my tank gets 3 every other day). I wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure yours is fine. He might even just wait and pick at leftover flakes. I have woken up in the middle of the night to find mine eating then.

I have had ADFs before and I got a little suction cup leaf thing. He would sit on that all the time, so I would feed him everyday when I caught he sitting on there (once a day). It worked rather well, due to the fact I had danios in the tank with him.

Back
Top Bottom