Help, my ADF can't sink!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhiann

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If there are any ADF experts out there, I'd really appreciate some advice. I've had my frogs for a few years and they've been really healthy, but suddenly, one of my females is floating and can't get to the bottom. When she's under the light, I can see some air making her side bulge. Her skin is healthy and she hasn't eaten anything different. I feed her live bloodworms. Despite the floating, her appetite is fine. Any ideas?

If there are any ADF experts out there, I'd really appreciate some advice. I've had my frogs for a few years and they've been really healthy, but suddenly, one of my females is floating and can't get to the bottom. When she's under the light, I can see some air making her side bulge. Her skin is healthy and she hasn't eaten anything different. I feed her live bloodworms. Despite the floating, her appetite is fine. Any ideas?

dropsy?
constipation?
Mine was hanging at the top alot before it died. Mine was a fungus I think tho. Im trying to wait out the lifespan of the bacteria/fungus before I introduce another one.

Sounds like her swim bladder is screwed up to me, but I'm not sure ADF have that. If it is the bladder, then there's nothing that you can do.

Nils

Live bloodworms are usually more used as a treat. Reason being is they can cause constipation if fed regularly. If your ADF hasn't jumped out of the tank and hit the floor recently I'm doubting a swim bladder problem.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Wow I just saw that on another thread, too. I was told live foods were best, but if bloodworms are the culprit, I'll get something different right away. What do you feed yours?

I feed ZooMed frog and tadpole food. Just little pellets they like them.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I tried to feed those pellets to my frogs once, and they totally didn't get it! The pellets just sat on the bottom of the tank. Is there a trick to it, or do you think I just have to give them time to get the idea?

I tried to feed those pellets to my frogs once, and they totally didn't get it! The pellets just sat on the bottom of the tank. Is there a trick to it, or do you think I just have to give them time to get the idea?

Almost always it takes time for them to adjust to a new food. Mine didn't like them much either at first

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I draw my pellets up in a syringe (or Turkey baster) with tank water and put them right in front of their noses. Their vision is not good, but they will smell those pellets. Now, if you have been feeding nothing but live food, they might be picky for a few days. Give it time. They will get hungry. Pellets should be the staple diet. High protein treats like bloodworms should only be fed once per week and with blanched, shelled, mashed peas to avoid constipation. ADF are like bettas and gourami and have to come up for air, so the floating could be a swim bladder problem.

Well, I'll get the pellets today and use my baster to put them in front of their noses. Any thoughts on how to cure constipation, if that's the issue? Thanks so much for responding, by the way.

Hi there, I just realized something. Those of you who told me that bloodworms cause constipation in ADFs: what about black worms? I don't have bloodworms, I feed them black worms. I was stressed about my floating frog and confused myself. Do black worms also cause constipation?

How do i give my frog a salt treatment?
How long does SHE stay in there?

Sent from my LGLS740 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

RABENA, what does "SHE" mean? This is about African Dwarf Frog feeding and constipation. Is that what you're having trouble with?

Anyway, thanks to the people who gave me those helpful suggestions; with more coaxing, my ADFs are eating the pellets. If anyone knows the difference between bloodworms and black worms, I'd love to know, since I sometimes feed black worms to my betta, too.

I googled. Couldn't find anything saying they do. I've never fed black worms, however.

Back
Top Bottom