Help with frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mtl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

As a surprise my parents took my daughter to petsmart and she came home with 2 aquatic frogs I believe they are the African dwarf frogs. We currently have a few platys and ghost shrimp in the tanks. The salesperson at petsmart told them there should be no issues with compatibility, but I don't trust them. Also I've read conflicting advice one saying they will eat the fish food (mainly flakes) others saying I need to buy special food. Lastly I have had them since yesterday morning and barely see them at all. Is that normal until they get used to the tank.

Thanks

Mtl said:
Hi

As a surprise my parents took my daughter to petsmart and she came home with 2 aquatic frogs I believe they are the African dwarf frogs. We currently have a few platys and ghost shrimp in the tanks. The salesperson at petsmart told them there should be no issues with compatibility, but I don't trust them. Also I've read conflicting advice one saying they will eat the fish food (mainly flakes) others saying I need to buy special food. Lastly I have had them since yesterday morning and barely see them at all. Is that normal until they get used to the tank.

Thanks

Im not sure if they will get along with ghost shrimp. I do know that they will not eat normal flakes though and yes it is normal for them to hide a lot I have had mine for a while now so they don't hide as much their mostly active at night though.

I don't think they will get along with the shrimp either. My frogs are in with my betta. They are escape artists! So keep your tank sealed up well or lower the water level. The frogs will eat frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp, or you can get some newt, tadpole and frog pellets. Mine I have trained to come to a dish in my tank to find food, that is when my bettas leave any! I feed them with a turkey baster. Mine hide some during the day, but at night they are all over the place! If you have any additional questions don't hesitate to pm me :)

Are the front feet webbed? If so, they are African drarf frogs and may get along with shrimp, I've seen them get along.

If the front feet are not webbed, they will get along with absolutely nothing but themselves. Too many bettas and other fish have been eaten because of cases of mistaken identity. ):

Feed frozen bloodworms. Take a pair of tongs, half-thaw a block, put it in front of their faces. Easy.

Chiroptera said:
Are the front feet webbed? If so, they are African drarf frogs and may get along with shrimp, I've seen them get along.

If the front feet are not webbed, they will get along with absolutely nothing but themselves. Too many bettas and other fish have been eaten because of cases of mistaken identity. ):

Feed frozen bloodworms. Take a pair of tongs, half-thaw a block, put it in front of their faces. Easy.

Agreed the frogs shouldnt bother the shrimp and definitely feed frozen blood worms. These frogs have awful vision so put the food infront of their face. Mine eventually ate flake fish food but I still fed blood worms and frozen brine shrimp.

The front feet are webbed and so far the shrimp and them are getting along. Thanks for all the guidance I got the frozen bloodworms but they still don't seem to have eaten but I'm sure they will when I'm not looking

So they are finally eating the blood worms (so are the rest of the tank) how often do I need to feed them? I've read anywhere between twice a day to twice a week. I've tried to research online and that is where I get confused since everyone has differing opinions.

I feed mine before I turn the lights on and right after you turn them off

I feed mine every night just after turning if the lights, skipping one day a week

I've fed my dwarf (not sure if african or not) flakes just fine. Also had them with platypus n shrimp and they've eaten both. And lost 2 due to them escaping so I ditto the lower water level and such. I'd keep them alone.

I only have one hes never attempted to escape he will eat shrimp if they get to close mine has eaten neons. I feed him 2 times a day. Cheaper and easier to feed him fishing bait small worms grubs i cut worms into ½ inch pieces he will also eat small cricket. I use a shishkabob skewer and feed him directly this also makes them less shy

Never flakes i was using pellet food but he just feels around looking with his front feet anything he feels he will eat. Much safer to feed directly to be sure he eats well if they get hungry they will hunt. I have a post in here near the top about it

These frogs do get on with shrimp. Iv had them in the same tank. However, I do target feed my frog with bloodworms. I use tweezers and hold the bloodworms in front of the frogs nose. They get on with a lot of stuff really.

Back
Top Bottom