How long does it take to cycle a 135 gal turtle community Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdbann82

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been going at it for 2 months. Not sure if it's already cycled or not. I have 1 red eared slider (female 7"), 1 Mississippi Map (male 4"), 1 Diamond Back (unknown sex 4"), 1 Western Painted (unknown sex 2"), 4 african cichlids(1"-3"), 1 jack dempsey(2"), 2 bala sharks(1"), and a couple water plants. I've had the aquarium for a few years but just recently learned about cycling a tank. I use the api test kit - Ph is 6.6, Amonia is 0, Nitrite around .15ppm (a little lighter than the .25 on the card), and Nitrate usually stays around .40 ppm. I currently have a Fluval 406 and 404 as filtration. I have a fx5 just need to build a new cabinet for it to fit in. Also I have the water level all the way up because I built a above tank topper. I'm curious why my nitrites are still not at 0 and my nitrates never seem to go down even when I do water changes which I do once a week (30%). Also ph seems low (6.6)but I did remove the drift wood that I had in there it was reptile driftwood not aquarium driftwood I believe it was grape wood. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's a pic of aquarium

Attachments

• 1449464249084.jpg
    1449464249084.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 97
What's the date on your nitrite check bottle?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nitrite bottle is 05/2020, the others are all in 2020 as well

It may be that turtles are so disgusting (they are!! Kept red eared four years from quarter sized to salad plate) your current bb are struggling to keep up entirely. I think it's admirable they're keeping 0 ammonia and low nitrites. Give it another month and if it still doesn't catch up, consider boosting filtration. :|

Ya I'm almost wondering if this is good as it gets with them. I've read of people having there turtle tanks cycle but I'm having a hell of a time doing it. Maybe once I get my fluval fx5 going loaded with bio max.

The fact that'll be coming online soon is why I suggested waiting until it establishes XD I think you're doing fantastic, I had given up on having anything in with my turtle. He now lives in an indoor pond with koi and is nearly large enough to cover a dinner plate.

Back
Top Bottom