How long until it is safe to add fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nikkid1987

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got this aquarium from a lady on Facebook and I've set it up , got it filled up , water treated and it's been going since yesterday. I was wondering how long I should let it go before I can transfer my fish over. I'm still kinda new to the aquarium world and learning as I go, so cut me some slack lol thanks in advance :)

You should read up on fishless cycling :) There are some great stickies in the Getting Started forum.

I got this aquarium from a lady on Facebook and I've set it up , got it filled up , water treated and it's been going since yesterday. I was wondering how long I should let it go before I can transfer my fish over. I'm still kinda new to the aquarium world and learning as I go, so cut me some slack lol thanks in advance :)

I would recommend 2 weeks at the most. You can sprinkle a tiny bit of flake food in too to get things started. There is a product called special blend that will help get things started.

Attachments

• image-3864315590.jpg
    image-3864315590.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 45
Just feed the invisible fish one time? Lol my fiancé saw me sprinkle the food in the empty tank and the look on his face was priceless lol but seriously I just do it that one time? I really don't want to do all the cycle steps I've read about on here and there's 2 reasons lol I would manage to screw it up, and I would forget. I will just wait it out lol my fish are perfectly fine where they are for now. I am just impatient but I'm not risking my fishes lives :)

At the moment my fish are in their 15g tank. I'm getting the 30g ready for them

Just feed the invisible fish one time? Lol my fiancé saw me sprinkle the food in the empty tank and the look on his face was priceless lol but seriously I just do it that one time? I really don't want to do all the cycle steps I've read about on here and there's 2 reasons lol I would manage to screw it up, and I would forget. I will just wait it out lol my fish are perfectly fine where they are for now. I am just impatient but I'm not risking my fishes lives :)
You can do it more than once but don't over do it. You may want to put in some water from your established tank, as well as some gravel from there. You can also run the filter from the new tank in your old one to collect some bacteria in the filter.

You knw you can transfer all your fish along with your filter to the new one and not have a problem. If you want to keep the other one, I would empty it at let the filter run on you 30 for a month and the restart your 15

Thank you!! If you have ANY other advice /hints/helpful comments please please tell me lol this goes to everybody !! Post it here or message me I'm open to all the advice and help I can get!

Thank you!! If you have ANY other advice /hints/helpful comments please please tell me lol this goes to everybody !! Post it here or message me I'm open to all the advice and help I can get!

When first setting up a new tank be sure to test your water regularly. Things can go wrong fast. After it is established a while it is more steady. And don't forget partial water changes once a week.

Hope you enjoy the tank, and post us some pictures of them if you can. I always love seeing other people's tanks. It gives me ideas for future projects.

Hope you enjoy the tank, and post us some pictures of them if you can. I always love seeing other people's tanks. It gives me ideas for future projects.

Thank you ! I test my ph level every week and vacuum my gravel every 1-2 weeks and replace the lost water with treated water. And due to evaporation I've had to add water often. But I love having the fish lol I will post pics when I get it like I want :)

Thank you ! I test my ph level every week and vacuum my gravel every 1-2 weeks and replace the lost water with treated water. And due to evaporation I've had to add water often. But I love having the fish lol I will post pics when I get it like I want :)

You should test for more than just ph. Some people say that they are not as accurate, but I use 5 in 1 test strips. They read ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and other things. Pet stores sell them, but they are cheaper at Walmart.

Attachments

• image-3728358384.jpg
    image-3728358384.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 44
You should test for more than just ph. Some people say that they are not as accurate, but I use 5 in 1 test strips. They read ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and other things. Pet stores sell them, but they are cheaper at Walmart.

So you use the strips and they work for you pretty good? I will have to get some kind of testing kit to check all the other crap besides just ph

About one month,please check no3

I'm supposed to have a 30 gallon tank with no fish setting on my dresser full of water for a month?? I don't get how my friends tank hasn't killed any fish and she didn't cycle it, and it's a 55 gallon tank with like 3 goldfish and a school of tetras . My ph is good and the temp is the same as the occupied tank my fish are in right now . Guess ill just have to deal with waiting

Waiting is the safest way for the fish. If you use old water and filter media, the n cycle may start earlier.

Back
Top Bottom