Is she healthy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SadSoyBeans

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my recently resuced red eared slider has been shedding skin, maybe? It may be algea coming off but idk. Is this okay?

20170906_202025.jpg

Its like that on her legs too, he scutes are shedding off, but the shellrot that she had is still there, i hadnt cleaned it out for a while now but there is more junk in there since i cleaned it last, my plan was get a soft tooth brush and clean it out then rub some providone iodine in it but it seemed to work but since i stopped it cane back.

20170906_202151.jpg

Should i keep doing what i was doing or do aomething else. Please help soon.

Shedding skin is normal.
What's the set up like ?

Post pics if you can please.

Clean water and a good pullout area are very important.
Proper lighting and heating or some sun are extremely important as well.

Yes, shell rot can be stubborn.

I used to feed the sick ones in a seperate tub, to keep the main tank cleaner.

The set up currently is only a 29g tank but dont worry im getting a larger one soon, the lady i got it from said it was a 55g but it wasn't. Large pebbles to prevent impaction. She has uv b and heat lamp. And i already ceed her in a never before used tupperware container.

The previous owner also didnt condition water so there wasnt a way i could cycle the tank quicker, but i have been doing frequent 8g water changes, she is only like 3in long so she wouldnt pollute the tank that much compared to an adult. She seems to be scared easily, she jumps off her basking spot if we walk by too quick, will she realize we arent bad or will this happen forever if not i could cover the top portion with some waterproof material to make it to where she cant see us as well but id rather not do that if i can

Here are pictures of the setup, i put blackout stuff on the edge of the tank.

20170907_173011.jpg 20170907_172957.jpg
20170907_172942.jpg

Theres a red dot on her head is that ok? Its not a bump or anything i know to be bad

20170907_173132.jpg

I tried to find nolvasan but i couldnt find it but i found the providone iodine so i used it instead. Im currently out of strips to test at the moment ill do a water change as soon as i clean her.

And i just want be sure im feeding her right, for a turtle that is 3 1/2in long and 3in wide how many pellets should i feed her

But do i follow the instructions on the food container but i know its wrong for fish so how many pellets should i feed mine that is this big.

1504840410730.jpg

The pellet is this big compared to her

Are you forgetting the calcium she needs to rebuild her shell?

She needs a cuttle bone in there all the time. Real cuttle bone. If she has shell rot she needs a lot of calcium.

She also needs fresh greens.

If this is a female redear they are a lot more jumpy than the males.

All my females still take to the water when they see me and my males stay put.

Ive had them from hatchling. Females are just more nervous than males.

I have the natural cuttlebone and she bites at it alot, and i put red leaf lettuce in the tank at least 3 times a week. She isnt as scared of us then when we got her, she likes to go up to the edge of the glass and she watches us.

Oops the basking temp was actually a bit over 100 degrees, i got the better thermometer, i think its just not good at air temp. How do i lower basking spot temp without changing bulbs, cause thet are expensive and i think it is too late to replace it.

you are better at a 76 f water temp max. 80 f for basking no higher than 85.

Your turtle is inside where you have control over his living quarters.

My turtles are all out side they can adjust them selves to what they need.

You may have to put your light up higher. Turtles do get heat stroke and cook.

Water temp over 76f is to hot for a redear.

Back
Top Bottom