Just Got An Axolotl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raygator

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any good tank mates? Crabs? Frogs? Also could it be converted to brackish water? Its in fresh right now

Raygator said:
Any good tank mates? Crabs? Frogs? Also could it be converted to brackish water? Its in fresh right now

The are strictly freshwater and IMO will eat or try to eat anything you put in it's tank. They have delicate gills and they can be damaged by nipping fish or even others of their own kind. You have to be careful of the substrate you use because they can swallow gavel and choke. May I suggest that you do a bit more research. Then you will know its needs and how to care for it correctly.

PLEASE research before buying.

Axolotls require very specific care, and judging by your questions you have no clue about that care.

NO, they cannot be converted to brackish. They are strict COOL water freshwater fish. Their absolute max temp is about 73F.

They should only be kept on sand. As stated gravel can be ingested and cause impaction. Bare bottom gives them nothing to grip which stresses them. It can also cause sores to develop on their toes.

The only thing I have found is even close to an option as a tankmate are fancy goldfish. Fancy goldfish are too slow to nip at axolotls' gills without getting nipped back. They usually get nipped by the axolotls once and then learn to avoid them, then living together without issues. However, this is not always the case and it requires a larger tank.

They should be fed high quality pelleted foods. The standard is trout or salmon pellets, but New Life Spectrum worked at least as well for my axolotls. No need for big meaty foods, stick to high quality pellets.

High water quality is just as essential for them as it is for fish. Frequent large water changes to keep the nitrate concentration under 20ppm are required. Aeration is very important as well, especially at the higher end of their temp range. Too much flow from power filters can stress them, as will excessive light without hides. I used PVC pipe connectors, they loved them. They provide great hides and are very smooth so they don't scrape themselves.

Right now its in a completely freshwater 125 gallon tank with sand at 72.7 degrees with a couple red eye tetras and bleeding heart tetras so I think it will be fine, I did my research before buying I just wanted so see what the possibilities were say it didn't say much about water conversion or compatibility on the care sheets I read

What a great pick-up! My friend recently got one at the last Repticon and he has been struggling with the temperatures.

From all of the research both of us have done, I would be worried about having the top of their temperature range at all times. From what I've read, it will cause their metabolism to be very slow and cause issues with themselves.

They can get a foot long, so those tetras might become a snack, I would watch for that.

Did you get wild-type or one of the variations?

If the tetras don't nip its gills the axolotl will eat them as soon as it is large enough, which shouldn't take long. Mine hit 10" their first year.

Oh well for the tetras I guess, they were dumped on me by a friend so I had to set up the tank because of them so I wouldn't mind if they got munched, and the temperature of the water is only that temp by the heater I'm sure its cooler on the other end where he spends most of his time in a dark cave, but thanks everyone for the tips

It should be cooler in the cave, but I would just take out that heater. You live to Minnesota, so you might not have to worry about cooling it through the winter.

Also if anyone can answer....

I bought it from a privately owned pet store in my local area and the (possibly ignorant) owner said it was a short gilled species when I had asked why the gills were so short.
Does such a species exist? Or was it because it lived with another axolotl that nipped off its gills? Because now it looks as though its gills may be growing (back)

I will attempt to post a picture if I can figure out how to on my cell phone (I'm using the app)

There is only one species of axolotl, Ambystoma mexicanum. There are a few other species of salamanders that can get quite large while still larval, like tiger salamanders.

Rehome the tetras, itis cruel to house them with something that will eat them just because you don't care.

Take out the heater, it is needed with axolotls. Get a thermometer, never trust what you set a heater at. And no, the temp is cooler in one area and warmer elsewhere in the tank, the water should be very uniform if there is any flow.

Yes I plan on feeding him guppies and ghost shrimp as well as shrimp pellets, fish flakes, and commercial turtle diet

ForumRunner_20111106_144418.jpg

It looks like he was either housed with some very nippy tankmates or he is in the process of metamorphosing, which they can do rarely.

Stick with a high quality pellet. Live foods will just introduce pathogens while providing an incomplete and unbalanced diet. These guys are raised an thrive on pellets, no need for anything else. As stated, go with New Life Spectrum, salmon pellets, or trout pellets.

Back
Top Bottom