Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Aquatic Reptiles, Amphibians & Herpetology
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-10-2018, 01:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Land dwelling turtles?

I got a home aquarium with the holes at the bottom so I canít put water in it directly but can put a dish of sorts with water in it is there a turtle where this is acceptable itís a huge tank Iím thinkin 75gal it was a throw out from pet store I cleaned up

Types of desert turtles would be acceptable to

Old 10-10-2018, 08:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Most land turtles and tortoises get far too large to be kept in a tank, regardless of size. That said, I'm no herpetologist.

Are the holes in the bottom from a sump? You can always get a bulkhead with a ball valve.

JackBinimbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Several different types of box turtles that would work.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:53 PM   #4

I’m sealing it up with aquarium glue that **** is harsh in smell lol I’m currently workin on makin it a half ball like coating over this (my first layer was today) there was a couple diff spots it could leak so goin over board wit it I did learn this is a 125 gallon tank ... decided not to get land dwelling hard to find any but am I do that right for putting water in to eventually and what am I lookin for since these are round surfaces and not straight
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	310626  
Old 10-11-2018, 11:13 PM   #5

What’s a sump? It’s a old display tank from petco iv cleaned up (from an other post if u want to no more)
Old 10-12-2018, 12:15 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

A sump is an external filtration tank. If it was used by a pet store, it likely had holes for draining and filtration.
JackBinimbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:13 AM   #7

Yea I got all that equipment as well blocking it off I can’t figure it out so I won’t mess with it sad really I was told it all works
Old 10-12-2018, 11:46 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Do some you tube searches for how to set up sumps. How to seal them.

If you don't actually want to keep fish then there wouldn't be too much issue.

You can do a uvb bulb and set it up really nicely.

As an additional option...
You could divide the area with the holes in the bottom from the area that could be sealed with a panel of glass and have a vivarium or terrarium environment and actually keep a habitat kind of tank for a different kind of water, water land dweller.

This is a guy who has some nice set up builds, I was looking for one I saw recently but didn't see it right now.
this one is land creature

Anyway there are some really beautiful ways to set up a tank and really make it great with a 3D diy decorative background. One comment was to use the pond version of the spray foam building stuff because it is in black and blends in better than the light tannish one.
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:05 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Also I left out the part of how a 4 foot long tank is not an ideal forever home for a box turtle. It might be great for a winter home, not a great every day of the year thing for the rest of its life.

These aren't necessarily something everyone could do but they offer some splendid ideas for a better life than in an aquarium only.
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:18 PM   #10

Thanks for the vids kinda long to watch right now I will later thou I’m making this a nice display piece in my living room with turtles that stay small so no RES or any thing of size gotta question bout that thou can I make it semi-deep water or is there such thing as to much water for turtles yes ik they can drown that’s why I’m asking this but I can’t find a straight forward answer to this I don’t mind adding water over time as they grow what little they do ... I had in mind to have a underwater scenery in tank to make it stand out

Tags
turtle, turtles

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com