Local tadpoles in Houston

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smyers0007

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just saved some tadpoles from a drying up puddle and would like to know what to feed them now that the hind legs are developing. I read they will become carnivorous. So, I need to start feeding them something other than moss. Where can I buy insects/worms from to feed them?

Boiled spinach or lettuce, aquatic plants (such anacharis) should do fine while they are aquatic.
I believe their diet turns carnivorous after all four legs have developed and they've absorbed the tail. New frogs are typically small so appropriately sized insects should be provided.
You might consider releasing them when they enter the frog stage.

I am going to bury this big tupperware container and make it into a frog habitat. This way they can just climb/hop out when they want to. I will put small rocks in the container so they can get out. It will be under a huge plant to give them cover. I really hope I did a good thing and helped them out. They are so cute.

Its better to release them in a pond. They are not going to stay there. If they can not find water once they leave there they will die.

They ere also fare game for birds, raccoons, possum and snakes.

Do you know what kind of frog or toad tadpoles they are?

Back
Top Bottom