Looking for poison dart frogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdpuffer

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all just wanted some suggestions on where to start looking for poison dart frogs. Would love to get some but have no idea where to start looking besides LFS. thanks in advance to your input.

www.brianstropicals.com - not only does he have the frogs, but they are born in his own home, and he sells supplies for them, and all the info you need on how to build a proper habitat for them. I'm currently building a paludarium for vampire crabs which have the same sort of needs as the frogs so I've used his site alot. :)

Checked it out and was very helpful only thing is I'm in Canada and he doesn't ship here. Found some awesome terrarium ideas on there though and I'm deffinately going to get into dart frogs.

Thanks for all the input. I'm picking up a terrarium at the end of the month and am planning a sweet vivarium habitat. I'm also ordering my frogs from understory as they are the only place to get them in Canada.

Well I went to the lfs today to pick up a vampire crab and a fiddler. At the checkout this was sitting on the counter:
Dart Frog1.jpg
It's a little mini habitat in a red vines container.
Dart Frog2.jpg
Once I saw this little guy inside, I new I had to have it..lol
Dart Frog3.jpg
So cute!!!

That's awesome, what kind is it? I'm gonna be getting some auratus el cope. Im actually really looking forward to getting frogs. Wanted some since I was a kid. Plus who has poison dart frogs, Around here nobody lol.

That's awesome, what kind is it? I'm gonna be getting some auratus el cope. Im actually really looking forward to getting frogs. Wanted some since I was a kid. Plus who has poison dart frogs, Around here nobody lol.

Ha I have no idea! A green and black one?! lol

I'm using my iPhone so the picture is tiny and it's hard to see the frog but it looks like a Dendrobates auratus Nicaraguan green and black which is the photo I added.

This is the frog I am getting, Dendrobates auratus el cope (turquoise and bronze). It was between this and the azuereus.

I'm using my iPhone so the picture is tiny and it's hard to see the frog but it looks like a Dendrobates auratus Nicaraguan green and black which is the photo I added.

Yes that's what I've indentified it as. Unless there is another green and black one that looks very similar...

This is the frog I am getting, Dendrobates auratus el cope (turquoise and bronze). It was between this and the azuereus.

That's what I want so bad! Those cost like twice as much as the one I got though. Do you know, can you mix species in the same vivarium?

From what I've read online you can mix species provided the vivarium is large enough and they are compatible. There is also the risk of cross breeding aswell. The habitat I am getting is an exo terra 18"x18"x24" so it's roughly 30 gallons. I am getting four frogs and was recommended to go no less than 20 gallons.

I am hoping to get a breeding pair out of the four frogs so depending on where your located I may be able to sell ya some frogs or froglets if I am able to get a pair going.

Back
Top Bottom