mud puppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdrianP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys im new to this forum.
I was considering starting a mud puppy tank but I have a few questions first. First of all I wanted to to have a lot of living plants in the tank so they could hide easily, kind of like an underwater forrest but I dont know what type of plants I should get and would I need special lighting for living plants? Also are mud puppies and axolotl the same thing... if not what are the differences? Another thing I was wondering is what temperature would be best for them to thrive? I also would like to know what fish would be compatible with them... I was thinking of putting some gouramis in there with them. Also would sand or gravel be better? I was thinking of making it about a 60gallon setup. Any other information or advice would be much appreciated. Im trying to do as much research as possible before I begin buying my supplies for this setup

they need water temps from 50-68 degrees and over 75 can be fatal, so if you live where it gets too warm, you would need a chiller. you need a lid because they can escape and die. i would keep it a species tank because they get large and produce a lot of waste. they are not the same as axolotls, those are ambystona mexicanum while mudpuppies are proteidae

Ok then do mud puppies need the cool water as well? And are there any other major differences between them? Do they have a different diet?

Back
Top Bottom