Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Aquatic Reptiles, Amphibians & Herpetology
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-19-2018, 02:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Musk turtle

Hey all, not sure if I'm posting this in the right section but I've made an unexpected purchase of a 3ft fish tank that comes with a musk turtle, this will be the first ever turtle I've owned and would like some advice on giving it the proper care he needs, done a bit of research online but the information I'm getting is a bit contradicting regarding the lighting it requires ECT... thanks!

Old 06-19-2018, 06:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi there. While he will spend the majority of his time in the water, he does need some sort of land area with a heat lamp over it for basking. In addition to heat, you will also need a UV light. I prefer the t8 bulbs that go across the whole tank so wherever he is, he can still get his UV rays which is essential to his health. Turtles are very messy, so filtration is a must as well. What other kind of info were you looking for?

Old 06-20-2018, 03:01 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thankyou! what % uv is recommended and basking temps/water temps? I also have a tank with a 7 inch oscar in it but I heard the turtle might get attacked?? But the turtle is around 5 inches I've been told
Old 06-21-2018, 06:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Something like this would work.
https://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Reptile...1_9&th=1&psc=1

If the tank is tall, go with the desert one as it will put out more UV.

I'm not sure about the turtle and oscar. Usually I don't recommend fish with turtles because they might eat the fish.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Basking temps should be around 90 degrees. I wouldn't worry too much about the water temperature.

Tags
turtle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com