Nails on Red Ear Sliders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TurtleLove20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it safe to clip or sand down their nails a tad bit so they don't scratch you when u hold them? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406971751.302074.jpg

What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead. -ALLEN COOPER

It would be better/safer to provide some rough surface rocks that they have to climb.
If you have a place setup out of the water for them to hang out on, make the access to it climbing over rough rock and that will help to naturally keep their nails from getting to long.
that is how they do it in the wild. ;)

ps, you do know the babies often carry salmonella, don't you? That is why they are not sold through the mail any longer and are banned in many places.
Please use proper precautions so you don't get sick.

Thank you and I know about the salmonella already ty.

What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead. -ALLEN COOPER

Do not clip their nails. Males have longer nails than females. Their nails NEVER need clipping even if you keep it in an all-glass environment with no object to rub their nails upon. They are not like dogs or humans or birds whose nails grow long when not exposed to adequate substrate friction. Turtles need their sharp nails to break apart large food. If you hurt their paws it could hinder their ability to eat. That is, it may stop eating if it associates food with painful paws. I used to breed red eared sliders in my commercial fish farm 20 years ago. Had a dozen or so 14-inch red eared sliders that laid eggs on a regular basis. I miss having them but I sure don't miss the mess that they made!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok. Thank you.

FYI the nails of male slider turtles are frighteningly long. Google some images of male red-eared sliders and you will see. Do not be alarmed by the crazy long witch nails. It is normal for males. It is part of their courtship ritual and also needed for breeding since males are much smaller than females and turtles do not have long arms.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom