Native tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sebastian2345

Aquarium Advice Regular
I live in north carolina, and have a 37 gallon tank and was thinking about making a cold water tank, what types of native fish could i have. Would a crappie work?:fish2:

Crappie get pretty big.... Same with sunfish.

Look at Pygmy sunfish and darters.

Caleb

I'd recommend darters. I have 2 in my 20 gallon, they are really neat

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I agree with what's said above. You could do some of the crayfish that inhabit the lakes here, but then you'd have to cut any other small fish out of the stocking list. They would eventually become food for the cray. Do you happen to live close to Lake Norman? We've got lots of crayfish in the summer/spring, that would be the best time to go looking. Another option for this tank is mosquitofish, neat little guys that are liv bearers and reproduce quickly.

You could keep small bluegill and grow them out. You could grow out baby turtles, and you could keep tadpoles, or really anything tiny that lives in the water. You could do a paludarium, with something like tree frogs and smaller fish. Or if you wanted to to a vivarium, toads, tree frogs, insects, anoles, skinks, smaller snakes, really anything.

If you wanted to go saltwater, you could keep anything you found in a tide pool.

good luck

Back
Top Bottom