Necturus maculosus "common mudpuppy"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jayDC_90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392036160.418272.jpg

I am looking for a mudpuppy. Very wonderful creatures. Most that are pets are wild caught. They are very hard to breed in captivity. So they are very hard to find. Does anyone have a necturus maculosus that could give me advice on keeping them?

I took care of one for two years when I interned at the Salisbury zoo. They are very cool but kinda a pain lol. Cool oxygenated water is a must. Must stay under about 65 degrees. 45-65 degree water and id use a small powerhead for current. Basically they hide a lot so tons of caves to hide in. You will barely ever see it lol.
You want a smooth gravel substrate for them. I'd use a long tank at least 36" for one as they do get pretty big. They have awful eyesight so it can take a while for it to eat. Definitely need a cycled tank as well. Feed 2-3 times a week and weekly water changes.

I have a 125 gallon that I have had running for years. Just gave away my last of my aquatic turtles so now ready for a mud pup. Tank is ready to go. Do you know where I can find one by any chance

I have a 125 gallon that I have had running for years. Just gave away my last of my aquatic turtles so now ready for a mud pup. Tank is ready to go. Do you know where I can find one by any chance

Sweet. Um idk maybe see if there are any reptile expos coming up near you.

Thank you. No expos in my area "Iowa" for a long time. I found a website "wards science," that sells them. But who knows how old they are and I was always told when they come from lab they could be carrying diseases. I'm going to try it out though. They only sell them from February to April.

Thank you. No expos in my area "Iowa" for a long time. I found a website "wards science," that sells them. But who knows how old they are and I was always told when they come from lab they could be carrying diseases. I'm going to try it out though. They only sell them from February to April.

Gotcha maybe shoot them an email to see if you can get an age on them. I'd assume you want a juvenile to start right?

Back
Top Bottom