Need for Quarantining African Dwarf Frogs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish4phil

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 36G tropical community tank. I plan on buying 2 ADFs. When I buy them, do I need to quarantine them? Or can I just acclimate them and put them in my main tank?

Is this true: can frogs not pass off diseases to fish, only other frogs? If that is true, and I don't have other frogs in my main tank, then do I need to quarantine them separately? Then, if they do get sick, I'll put them in the quarantine tank to medicate separately.

I've had my little guys (4) with tons of other fish, tiger barbs, betta, catfish, plecos, tettras and none of them have gotten the fish sick, the frogs thenselves can get a bit agressive, they nip at my corey cats alot during feeding, however, thats just them being hungry and all :), but I usually just acclimate them and let them go on theyre way. But if you REALLY want to be sure, then quarantine them, no need though. Heres some pics of them!

Attachments

• image-3042093739.jpg
    image-3042093739.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 109
  • image-837720212.jpg
    image-837720212.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 196
  • image-2308167030.jpg
    image-2308167030.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 134
After further research, my impression is that if you buy all of your frogs at the same time from the same store, you don't need to quaratine. If you already have frogs and want to add more, you should quarantine for 2 months, as that is the gestation period for the Chytrid fungus. (Although a 2 month quarantine period is basically another tank)

Back
Top Bottom