New albino dwarf frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarannmahmood

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I have a albino dwarf frog in my tank and I have a large rock type ornament but the frog seems to dig itself underneath it and am worried it will get stuck is this normal behavior as I have only just got the frog

All frogs will do this if they get scared or may just feel comfortable being in that place. My African clawed frog hides under the filter all the time as your frog is new he/she may hide under there as he is nervous about what's happening and that's were he has a sence of safety. Don't worry :) hope this helps

If you are worried about him getting stuck, remove the ornament immediately. Frogs have been know to get stuck under an ornament/rock and drown.

according to a member who has a degree in herpotolagy,ADFs are missing the chromosone that lets them be albino,you have an ACF,which will kill any fish that fits in its mouth(and some that dont)

Its definatley an ADF and not a ACF as it has web hands and feets how ever I don't think it's a true albino as doest have red eyes just very pale coloring I did alot of research on them to make sure that I hadn't purchased an ACF. As I heard they can get quite big and as you say eat anything it can fit in it's mouth x

ok,well,in that case,you should remove the ormament,if it get s stuck under it it will drown.

I have noticed my adf's color varies. Some are lighter beige while others are a more olive drab. I would remove the unsuitable ornaments ASAP.

i would make sure he cant get under the ornament. and make sure it hs a big enough opening he can find his way out because they are partially blind and will drown. my adf hid the first few day i got her and would hardly see her come out. now my adf swims around all the time and doesnt hide often. also make sure you tank is fully covered so he doesnt escape.

Another thing: since it is a dwarf frog, regardless of coloration, he would really like to have friend(s). At least 2 frogs is recommended with more being even better.

Thanks I do have another one as well and now they have been in the tank over a week they seem fine no more digging under the ornament more showing off swimming around the tank

Albino ADF's do exsist. I have 2, one of which I wonder if maybe isn't a true albino but the other has red eyes and is definitely albino.

ADF's do need a place to hide to feel safe. If you can't plant the rock/decor firmly into the substrate so you are sure it cannot be knocked over by a frog, then I would agree it should be removed. I would replace it with a cave or something that will provide a shelter for the frog safely. Then you can also feed there if you'd like, so your blind froggy knows where to go to find food. If you buy a peice of decor, I would take a metal nail file to any sharp edges or pokeys to protect the frogs delicate skin. :)

No more than 2" long. Most of mine at maturity hit about 1.5".

Back
Top Bottom