New tank aquascape/temporary upgrade.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wy Renegade said:
Glad to see the lawn seems to working out. The issue I see with the bulbs would be getting them to rebloom. You would have to remove them, refrigerate them for a period, and then replant them - kind of a pain.

Or nomad could set up two or three lawns in different tupperware bowls and when one bloom dies he could refrigerate it and pull out another one to watch it grow and die and do it again that way it would just be a matter of changing it out.

jkdubs2 said:
Or nomad could set up two or three lawns in different tupperware bowls and when one bloom dies he could refrigerate it and pull out another one to watch it grow and die and do it again that way it would just be a matter of changing it out.

That's an awesome idea. Have different planting displays depending on season. Potentially just keeping them in a pot outside and letting them grow naturally might pay off rather than refrigeration. It's certainly an idea that would give you different looks all year.

Yeah wy, your right about the bulbs, obviously that's exactly what I was thinking and why I didn't think it would work. The bulb would probably go soft after the first bloom.

Haha ya that would be really cool. You can have stuff that only growsin the summer in southern hemisphere naturally which is our winter in the northern. That would be awesome.

Sorry, been so busy recently with work I have not had time to update, but basically because of the humidity and I assume lack of drainage for bottom water, the grass was growing but the soil wAs starting to go stagnant, and the roots were just rotting rather than growing deeper, so I have removed it for now and am re designing for now.

Update would be great. I haven't responded but have been following this project from the beginning. I love all the creativity and support all the members give

Nomadu571 said:
Sorry, been so busy recently with work I have not had time to update, but basically because of the humidity and I assume lack of drainage for bottom water, the grass was growing but the soil wAs starting to go stagnant, and the roots were just rotting rather than growing deeper, so I have removed it for now and am re designing for now.

Maybe you can find a tiny pump And put it under the soil and put holes in the bottom of the container to allow water in and the pump could push it through a tube out the top?

jkdubs2 said:
Maybe you can find a tiny pump And put it under the soil and put holes in the bottom of the container to allow water in and the pump could push it through a tube out the top?

I was hoping to keep the soil from the pot separate from water in the tank because of leeching tannins, and the water line would mean a constant soaking for the soil, but I'm thinking some sort of snorkel to allow some gas exchange, I think if there was a ring of small tubing sitting at the bottom and a snorkel up and out the air could get to the bottom to dry the soil drawing the water down. I think also starting completely dry would be better and not watering, as the water just never left the pot and wasn't used by the grass. It's still experimentation, but there's always using bog plants or growing carpeting plants immersed. If I can't use grass I'm going to find a water loving bog plant for the corner instead.

Back
Top Bottom