New to turtle keeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bottomfeeder88

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just recently purchased a 75 gallon tank for my wife's birthday for her to keep red-ear sliders. It came with both lights, UVA and basking. So one of my questions is even though I would seemingly have proper lighting, would it hurt to place the tank next to a window that would expose the tank to sunlight 4-6 hrs a day? Or in a dark corner with my fish tanks?
Another question I have is filtration. I currently have an in tank filter (the waterfall type), would this be sufficient? If not what would work best?

Ooooo, I don't know anything about this topic except my partner also really wants a turtle tank! I'll be watching your progress!

My Betta tank = hubby not excited about when I ramble on about it

Visits to our LFS = hubby all chatty about TURTLES! Gotta play the odds if we are going to be tank-keepers together!

Tank is all set, seeded and stocked!

image-2627460830.jpg

Plan on adding a canister filter in a couple of days so we can eventually add a musk or a second RES.
Anyone keep SA cichlids like blue acuras or green terrors with turtles?

The glass windows are made of block the rays turtles need, but I have mine in front of a window and usually keep the window open :) I keep his light on for him even though he is in front of the window. He lives with 2 guppies too, tries to eat em but can never catch em lol

I can't get him to bask even though I have two "basking areas" set up for him. Will it take some time to come out of the water? Anyone have suggestions or care to share how you have yours set up?

Bottomfeeder88 said:
I can't get him to bask even though I have two "basking areas" set up for him. Will it take some time to come out of the water? Anyone have suggestions or care to share how you have yours set up?

Mine wouldn't at frst when I switched his house out for a bigger tank... Just give him time :) maybe put a treat in his basking area.

It's all good in his hood. He picked an area to bask and kicks it there as long as no one pays him any attention.
When we get home from work he frantically dives off his throne of warmth. Then he finds a current to play in and snacks on frogbit.
Finally he retreats to the mouth of the pleco cave, whom he kicked out apparently, kicks aside a few rocks then sleeps.

HI. I have one red eared slider. She is getting a new tank I ordered next week! Currently in a 40g, new one is 65g. We had homemade filter system for a while, but then purchased a Marineland C360 filter, for 55-100g, when we moved her inside the house. RES turtles have a reputation of being a bit on the "more cleanup" side. I change the filters about every 10-14 days, don't always need that often, but if my husband "smells the turtle", she has to go. I have 1 pleco in the tank also. Hope that helps.

Cleaning your filter every other week and changing the carbon/purgien/ whatever chemical media you use is the best way to go about it to keep stink at bay. A python to clean the substrate if the tank has any, greatly helps.
It's my old lady's tank but she refuses to open the canister up....and she wants dogs.

Algernon is a lot of work, but worth it. We have it down to a routine. I clean the tank out a couple times a day. I really miss my koi, they cleaned up after Al pretty well. And, as a big surprise to me....I discovered we now have 2 plecos. I have NO idea how that could be, i clearly only got 2 and gave the largest one to the local pet store to sell. Sorry, for going on, but I am so excited about getting the new larger tank and having the ability to see all my critters. I love when I come home and Al is looking for me and follows me when I come into the room. My favorite thing to do with her is every Sunday, I rub shell conditioner on her. She literally just relaxs in my hand as I rub her down. BTW, we have 2 dogs, 1 cat and soon 1 horse.

Cleaning your filter every other week and changing the carbon/purgien/ whatever chemical media you use is the best way to go about it to keep stink at bay. A python to clean the substrate if the tank has any, greatly helps.
It's my old lady's tank but she refuses to open the canister up....and she wants dogs.

I want a turtle pond or a tortoise in my garden one day. I wish I had space for a big enough tank, but I know I have maxed the limit on pets too! 2 big dogs who run our lives, constantly making messes and misbehaving, but the two sweetest friends anyone could ask for. :D Unlimited cuddles and funny moments, but boy are they demanding! My single fish is also a great deal of responsibility, so turtles will have to wait a few years. :blink:

Back
Top Bottom