New to turtle keeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TLfreshhhhwater

Aquarium Advice Activist
Any advice on keeping turtles? What kind to get? How to set up habitat? Anything really

First off little turtles won't stay small so plan on a "big" tank 40-55 U.S.gal for one. ( adult size)... They also need UVB light and a big filter, they are messy eaters. They should have an area where they can get outta the water to dry off( basking area).

It's kind of a pain in the butt to get started up, but so worth it. My little turtles have grown from quarters to 3-4inch in about 7months. They are smart and will get to know you over time, and if cared for can live for 30+ years.

As for what kind, red-ear sliders are common everywhere. Painted turtles or any"map" type turtle. These would be semi-aquatic and good ones to start on.

First off little turtles won't stay small so plan on a "big" tank 40-55 U.S.gal for one. ( adult size)... They also need UVB light and a big filter, they are messy eaters. They should have an area where they can get outta the water to dry off( basking area).

It's kind of a pain in the butt to get started up, but so worth it. My little turtles have grown from quarters to 3-4inch in about 7months. They are smart and will get to know you over time, and if cared for can live for 30+ years.

As for what kind, red-ear sliders are common everywhere. Painted turtles or any"map" type turtle. These would be semi-aquatic and good ones to start on.

Mmmm your gonna need a bigger tank then that. Most turtles sold are red ear slidders and they get 12" I would recommend atleast 125g tank in the future

Hey again got ur adf's yet? I actually have some RES turtles :3 4 years now i wouldnt suggest them since their large size if youre searching for a terrestrial turtle eastern box turtles do great! their cheap and dont require any filtration only a water bowl that needs to be cleaned every day with fresh water and around every month switch the substrate hatchlings go well with a diet of crickets and mealies just supplement some veggies once in a while and add some calcium dust to the food adults will go on a diet with not alot of protein so every week add a few meal worms to their salad that should consist of 40% fruits and 50% veggies and then 10% protein i believe they get to a size of about 6 inches a minimum tank size i would recommend is a 30 gallon 40 gallons is even better if you can, try to find a cave or hide big enough to be secure in so the turt will have less stress if its an aquatic turtle reeves turtles do quite well theyre quite smaller than most species but requires a heater in the water and a heat lamp and uvb bulb and lamp for both species you will need a basking spot for both turtles but for aquatics it HAS to be out of the water as turtles may get shell rot a basking spot is simply an area thats alot warmer(80-90) than the regular air temperature (70- 72) its on a focused area the uvb is best on a strip tube reeves will go well on pellets and supplement with some veggies rarely and mealies every few weeks or feeder fish NOT goldfish(comets) their quite fatty i would suggest feeder guppies because if they reproduce you can have free food

Actually, box turtles and tortoises will end up being a bit cheaper in the long run its a lot easier also than carrying and siphoning gallons of water

Well this is kinda late tho but if you don't wanna pay atleast a few hundred$$$ on turtles then I don't think they'll be right for you sorry

Back
Top Bottom