Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Aquatic Reptiles, Amphibians & Herpetology
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2018, 01:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Northern green frogs

(Posting for a friend) Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0622.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	309645Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0613.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	309646 the only types of frogs in our area are Wood Frogs, Mink Frogs, America Toads, and Green Frogs. My friend caught these two tad poles about a week ago and he believes that they are both Green Frogs. I am wondering if there is a possibility if one is male and one is female as one is noticeably bigger than the other. Or if they are two different types of frog? The smaller one got its front legs two days ago and the bigger one got its front legs today

Old 07-15-2018, 06:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsons483 View Post
(Posting for a friend) Attachment 309645Attachment 309646 the only types of frogs in our area are Wood Frogs, Mink Frogs, America Toads, and Green Frogs. My friend caught these two tad poles about a week ago and he believes that they are both Green Frogs. I am wondering if there is a possibility if one is male and one is female as one is noticeably bigger than the other. Or if they are two different types of frog? The smaller one got its front legs two days ago and the bigger one got its front legs today

they look like wood frog tadpoles to me but i could be wrong. if they are green frogs then they will develop a circular area right behind the eye called the tympanum. if the tympanum is larger than the eye its male, if its smaller then it is a female. it may be to early for you to sex either. all tadpoles will develop at different rates even if they are from the same batch of eggs. that probably explains why one is larger than the other.

http://vtherpatlas.org/Assets/photos...eenfrog_et.jpg

Old 07-15-2018, 06:32 PM   #3

Northern green frogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnad View Post
they look like wood frog tadpoles to me but i could be wrong. if they are green frogs then they will develop a circular area right behind the eye called the tympanum. if the tympanum is larger than the eye its male, if its smaller then it is a female. it may be to early for you to sex either. all tadpoles will develop at different rates even if they are from the same batch of eggs. that probably explains why one is larger than the other.

http://vtherpatlas.org/Assets/photos...eenfrog_et.jpg

Wouldn’t they be too young to develop that tho?

This is them today Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0628.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	309655

And the smaller one is more brown, the bigger one is more green
Old 07-15-2018, 07:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsons483 View Post
Wouldn’t they be too young to develop that tho?

This is them today Attachment 309655

And the smaller one is more brown, the bigger one is more green

yes they are to early in development to have the tympanum. coloring can play some part in sexing frogs but not that much and more than likely not at this stage. males typically have more vibrant colors then females. with that sad though you can have brown, green or even some rare blue colored green frogs so disregard the colors. really i would wait until they are more developed to try and sex them. key points on sexing will be males will have fat "thumbs" used to grip the female during mating, males are smaller in size,males of course have the vocal sac under their neck, males have vibrant colors.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnad View Post
yes they are to early in development to have the tympanum. coloring can play some part in sexing frogs but not that much and more than likely not at this stage. males typically have more vibrant colors then females. with that sad though you can have brown, green or even some rare blue colored green frogs so disregard the colors. really i would wait until they are more developed to try and sex them. key points on sexing will be males will have fat "thumbs" used to grip the female during mating, males are smaller in size,males of course have the vocal sac under their neck, males have vibrant colors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0687.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	309730Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0689.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	309731 this is them now. They are both getting the spot on their ears tho it seems

Tags
frog, frogs, green

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com