Northern green frogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

parsons483

Aquarium Advice Activist
(Posting for a friend) IMG_0622.jpgIMG_0613.jpg the only types of frogs in our area are Wood Frogs, Mink Frogs, America Toads, and Green Frogs. My friend caught these two tad poles about a week ago and he believes that they are both Green Frogs. I am wondering if there is a possibility if one is male and one is female as one is noticeably bigger than the other. Or if they are two different types of frog? The smaller one got its front legs two days ago and the bigger one got its front legs today

(Posting for a friend) View attachment 309645View attachment 309646 the only types of frogs in our area are Wood Frogs, Mink Frogs, America Toads, and Green Frogs. My friend caught these two tad poles about a week ago and he believes that they are both Green Frogs. I am wondering if there is a possibility if one is male and one is female as one is noticeably bigger than the other. Or if they are two different types of frog? The smaller one got its front legs two days ago and the bigger one got its front legs today

they look like wood frog tadpoles to me but i could be wrong. if they are green frogs then they will develop a circular area right behind the eye called the tympanum. if the tympanum is larger than the eye its male, if its smaller then it is a female. it may be to early for you to sex either. all tadpoles will develop at different rates even if they are from the same batch of eggs. that probably explains why one is larger than the other.

http://vtherpatlas.org/Assets/photos/tympanum_male_greenfrog_et.jpg

they look like wood frog tadpoles to me but i could be wrong. if they are green frogs then they will develop a circular area right behind the eye called the tympanum. if the tympanum is larger than the eye its male, if its smaller then it is a female. it may be to early for you to sex either. all tadpoles will develop at different rates even if they are from the same batch of eggs. that probably explains why one is larger than the other.

http://vtherpatlas.org/Assets/photos/tympanum_male_greenfrog_et.jpg

Wouldn’t they be too young to develop that tho?

This is them today IMG_0628.jpg

And the smaller one is more brown, the bigger one is more green

Wouldn’t they be too young to develop that tho?

This is them today View attachment 309655

And the smaller one is more brown, the bigger one is more green

yes they are to early in development to have the tympanum. coloring can play some part in sexing frogs but not that much and more than likely not at this stage. males typically have more vibrant colors then females. with that sad though you can have brown, green or even some rare blue colored green frogs so disregard the colors. really i would wait until they are more developed to try and sex them. key points on sexing will be males will have fat "thumbs" used to grip the female during mating, males are smaller in size,males of course have the vocal sac under their neck, males have vibrant colors.

yes they are to early in development to have the tympanum. coloring can play some part in sexing frogs but not that much and more than likely not at this stage. males typically have more vibrant colors then females. with that sad though you can have brown, green or even some rare blue colored green frogs so disregard the colors. really i would wait until they are more developed to try and sex them. key points on sexing will be males will have fat "thumbs" used to grip the female during mating, males are smaller in size,males of course have the vocal sac under their neck, males have vibrant colors.

IMG_0687.jpgIMG_0689.jpg this is them now. They are both getting the spot on their ears tho it seems

Back
Top Bottom