Paludarium filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd say longer is better for these types of fish.

I'm sure there's more cold water types out there but that's all I got at the moment [emoji16]

A 33 long would be pretty cool but maybe the 40 long would be better for Rosy's???

Regarding substrate, for a more natural appearance I would look for something with mixed grades and tones (see pic and don’t put currency in your tank). Play sand and PFS are rather homogeneous and uniform. You can mix several sands and fine gravels to achieve this look. IMG_7974.jpg

Ok did some rosey barbs and they get bigger than what I want. I might go with the minnows or danios. I've been looking on liveaquaria for ideas on coldwater fish.
Thanks Fresh I'll look into getting more than one sand.

Sand blasting sand often found it at supply houses specifically for the trades. Used to blast paint and scummy stuff off of things to clean them up.

There are various grit (grain) sizes too!

Costs were good too, about 50 lbs for $16-22.00

I looked it up and there seem to be some around Ontario Canada.

Abrasive Blasting Media - Acklands-Grainger, Canada Listed 5 locations.

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/category/Abrasive-Blasting/Abrasives/c/26157#

I enjoy the not exactly natural unless you live where they mine it, Garnet Sand. It comes in a few colors variations from purple like to sunset orange. The purplish one is mined in Idaho, USA, (other areas too).
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/garnet-sand-255996.html

One reason I really like blasting sand is it is pretty much very low dust, doesn't require rinsing it forever!

Also the filter is called internal filter and if you have a larger tank you can get the kind for turtles.

When looking into Paludariums, consider the turtle tanks with the cutouts for the HOB filters.

I wanted to weigh in on the blasting sand. I use it in my 20G and you can see my experience with it here.

I keep invertebrates and have no issues, but blasting sand does take some special considerations. I got mine at Tractor supply for 10 bucks and didn't even use 1/3 of it. Overall, I'm happy with my decision to get it.

Back
Top Bottom