Pittbully's Paludarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's really cool! I have this moss I've been holding onto for weeks. I just put it on the 54. You have inspired me!

I bet when you do it, it's gonna be great. I can't take the credit my daughter had the idea, we just tired to make it reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457315595.990568.jpg

Here's the top shot before flood.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457315665.774263.jpg
Here's a test fill up. Added some anubias to the water feature. For substrate we just used pfs and peat rocks.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457315772.357471.jpg

And here is mr frog. He has darken up due to stress. I waited a few days before putting him to make sure it was safe.

Ok got some pic updates. So the tank is currently at my daughter's school and we have decided to donate it to the class. So weekly I get to do the maintenance and that when I can do picture updates.

Last edited:
So this is week one of the paludarium's existence and have noticed a few fungus/mold spots. I'm guessing from ventilation. So I have some research to do to correct it. I'm guessing the kids are the ones feeding the frog but the amount of dead crickets found in the water. I will have to tell the teacher that need to be on the land parts. Oh and water feature/ wall fall was barely trickling so I had to pull it out and clean it. Beside cleaning the filter and siphoning out dead crickets everything seems to be doing ok.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457386907.970243.jpg

Here is where the pump is stored

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457386935.187032.jpg

The tree frog looks pretty happy

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457386963.486830.jpg

Here's a top view. The brome on the left looks like it lost some color

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457387016.484746.jpg

And the fts

Any questions please ask

I hope you, err, she got an "A" for this. Awesome build. And low tech equipment as well. I'm sure you are inspiring some new builds out in AA land.

Lol. Yeah she received a 110 and comes to find out the teacher loves frogs. Yeah talk about low tech. The pump's outlet is made it a straw that used to go to a sippy cup with airline tubing stuffed inside. And the light was a extra freebie I had laying around.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1457391846.962098.jpg

And in this shot, which you can't really see is where the water get feed to the pump. Again it's just egg crate with weed block stuff wrapped around it.

So after some research I realized that a closed systems like this requires good air flow to prevent fungus and mold. Just like good water circulation in the tank can prevent detritus and algae. I didn't want to put anymore money in this since I'm giving it away but i want to make sure the frog and fish have a safe home. I'm thinking about a pc fan controller and a couple of pc fans. One fan would be the intake and the other would be the exhaust and with the controller control the speed of the fans to keep humidity at optimal levels.

You could add springtails or Isopods to help out with the mold. They did a great job when I had dart frogs.

No updates available. Since spring break the tank has been at the teachers house. It's probably safe to close this thread.

That's a long spring break [emoji23]

Back
Top Bottom