Red eard slider

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Merface

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So my turtle is a baby and I got a new tank from a friend pretty big one not sure how many gallons. In order for the filter to work properly it needs to be a certain level. The filter is a aqua tech 30-60. This goes way beyond the line I have set for him on the rock he has. I was thinking of making a PVC makeshift one higher in order for the filter to work. I have heard that the higher level of water can kill my turtle. Anyone know what should I do?

You can try building him a new place to rest rather than the rock. You can make a shelf and ramp for him to adjust to your water level and he should be okay. Just make sure he can't get stuck anywhere under water and drown. Oh, and make sure he can't climb out and away of the tank as well. Wouldn't want that now would we?

Check out redearsliderdotcom, great information and how to's for making basking areas. I made an above tank basking area for my slider, she's about 7 inches long and 6 years old.

I am interested in getting a red ear slider as well, I'm currently going to break down my 30g fw tank as the fish were given to a different owner. I have been doing some research and as long as the turtle is able to climb out of the water safely and bask, to my knowledge the depth of the water is unimportant as long as it gives him swimming room. Please correct me if I am wrong as I am learning as well.

I am interested in getting a red ear slider as well, I'm currently going to break down my 30g fw tank as the fish were given to a different owner. I have been doing some research and as long as the turtle is able to climb out of the water safely and bask, to my knowledge the depth of the water is unimportant as long as it gives him swimming room. Please correct me if I am wrong as I am learning as well.

Please do not take this the wrong way when I say that I wanted to strangle you after reading this lol. Anyway it's not your fault because I didn't know much about turtle care when I saved my quarter sized hatchling from china town in NYC 6 years ago. The rule of thumb is 10 gallons of water per inch of turtle carapace length (shell). My suggestion, if you really plan on having the turtle for a long time and depending on how big the turtle is your acquiring, 55 gallons and up is a safe bet. Some people claim that hatchlings need shallow water. This is completely false. The problem is that they have the potential of getting stuck underwater and drowning if precaution isn't taken to avoid such a tragedy. Also they need to be able to FULLY dry off. I made an above tank basking platform for my 55 to achieve maximum water capacity. Ill post a pic tomorrow to show you. Anyway fire away with questions if your interested I can give you plenty of information to get yourself going and decide if you want to become a turtle owner officially.

Back
Top Bottom