Red eared slider

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deenalove

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know it is not an amphibian, I wasnt sure where to put this lol. Ok so my friend wants to give me her 2 red eared sliders and tank. No rocks and no heating lamp for them. I was thinking of keeping them, but then decided no. No idea why I decided no. I DO want them, just not sure anymore. I have to convince my husband lol. We were thinking of bringing it to the fish store by us who has a guy who rescues turtles, then keep the tank for fish.

My questions. i did have one, in a 60g years ago, he was NOT hard to keep and I loved him but couldnt keep him. So, anyone have one and young children? I have a 2 year old and trying for more :). I am afraid of the salmonella now that I am a parent.

I was thinking of getting a baby pool and putting it on our patio? Would it be too cold for the turtles since it is getting to be winter? Where can I have them? I am not sure what size tank they are in. UGH just soo many questions. When I had one it's diet was not ideal. I gave it left over tomato and lettuce and feeder fish. PLEASE HELP ME lol. ANY advice on it would be GREAT

I can't exactly offer you much advice either, because when I had one I was maybe 10-12 years old and caught it in a creek playing. I didn't know very much about animals either at the time. What I do remember though, is that I kept it outside in a fairly small aquarium with a giant crayfish that I also caught and fed both of them small live fish from a makeshift trap and turtle pellets. Depending on the temperature of your area, you'll probably need a heated pond. I had my aquarium freeze in the winter with both the crayfish and the turtle in it going solid. They thawed and came back to life with some cool water after about a month or two of being frozen, it was a very cool experience. I don't suggest trying to duplicate my results though, as far as diet though I found that these were suggested for red eared sliders:

Feeder Items: earthworms, crickets, waxworms, earthworms, silkworms, aquatic snails, blood worms, daphnia, shrimp, krill, mealworms. For very small turtles, prey may have to be cut into smaller pieces. Larger turtles can be offered larger items like tadpoles or feeder fish, though some experts warn that feeder fish may be carrying parasites, etc.
Leafy greens: collard, mustard and dandelion greens, kale, bok choy. Head (iceberg) lettuce should never be feed as it contains very little nutrition, but dark green leaf lettuces (e.g romaine) can be feed sparingly
Aquatic plants: in an aquarium or pond you can add aquatic plants on which turtles usually love to snack. Submerged plants like anacharis are often eaten, as are water hyacinth, water lettuce, duckweed, azolla (fairy moss), and frog-bit.
Other vegetables: carrots (tops are fine too), squash and green beans.

Just know that they're messy and will need a good filter to keep the water clean.

yes its too cold out in the northern region of the US now for an outdoor pond habitat. I got a female and have small kids, the salmonella is not always there but is advised if they are under 4" to wash your hands alot and very well.

I have a canister and a tetra i40 intank filter for my RES. I do a water change once a week on it when I hit my other big tanks. I keep mine indoors in a 40B(for now) with no heater and only a daytime uv lamp.

Mine eats all that above, she is partial to her fresh shrimp though, she loves her fresh shrimps. Mine did not eat any plants even surface plants in the tank, I had to remove it because it completely infested the tank.

Keeping RES is a true committment (I currently own two adults.)

If you do get these wonderful creatures, a heatlamp and dry dock of some sort is absolutely mandatory. They cannot regulate their own body temperatures. They also need to be able to completely dry their bodies when they feel the need.

I love mine, but they are a great deal of work to keep clean.

MudRaker, How often do you let yours free-roam the domicile?

i let mine out atleast once a week but she really doesnt like my cat Mr Magoo and she chases him down every chance she gets.

Oh keep clear of their beaks, they dont feel pleasant.

At least once a week, sometimes more. On nice summer days , I take them outside for walks.

Mine ignore the cats, which miffs them terribly, as they think all other creatures should either bow down to them or quake in fear of their pressence.

LOL, I think mine is about 5 years old, shes a full 6" diameter. I got her in august in a 10g tank she has been in since she was bought in chinatown years ago as a quarter size turtle.

Do their shells turn black when they get in the 10" range?

Don't know. My female's carapice is 8 inches and its still that dark green with yellow. The male is about six inches about the carapice.

Isnt it funny how the male's have them long purty nails to entice the females with.

Im contemplating getting a male but i really dont want any babies.

Its horrible when the females lay if you aren't prepared.

It happened to me last spring and I've been trying to find a new home for the male since then. She was furiously swimming around the tank while he decimated the eggs, it was horrific.

that sucks bad, maybe he just wanted to practice rather then hit the big leagues lol.

A store here has some albino RES' and im still unsure how I feel about them.

they are very strange looking, you gotta like the color shades of pink I reckon.

a 10 gallon tank is absolutlely way to small for a turtle of that size the rule of thumb for a turtle is 10 gallons per inch off carpace. 5 inch turtle 50 gallon tank. anything less is to small and causes skin problems eye problems and lots of others.

Back
Top Bottom