Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Aquatic Reptiles, Amphibians & Herpetology
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-03-2017, 08:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Red eared slider hatchling

So we came into this little guy which is about half dollar size. We have him in a 20 gallon tank with a heater pointed onto a basking dock and a water heater as well. The water temp is 75 and the temp by the basking dock is 85-90. I have river rocks in the bottom and a floating log as well. I have a whisper filter too. He will not eat the hatchling food the ingot for him. Any suggestions? Any insight? Anything I'm not doing that I could be?

Old 06-08-2017, 09:24 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Any luck with him eating?

Old 06-08-2017, 08:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Red eared sliders, caught in the wild at times are difficult to feed at first. Captive breed readily accept food and will come to the edge of the tank when they see you in anticipation of food. Feed them worms, leafy greens, dried shrimp, commercial pellets for turtle's, ant eggs, they eat an assortment of stuff, crickets. Let us know how you make out..
Old 06-12-2017, 08:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

for the future and others, best to feed baby turtles in a different container than there tank, shallow water so the water just goes over the top shell they can touch the bottom and stick there heads up. chopped earthworms,raw chopped crayfish tails ,baby turtle pellets.I have no problem with mine.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You can try freeze dried river shrimp or krill to get them started, but yeah, 2" or 3" deep.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:03 PM   #6
Macro Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

many years ago I kept turtles I used to feed lettuce , chop meat . crickets ect feeding was very different back than , I never seen a hatch-ling must be a neat experience you could try some live brine shrimp to get him started eating.

Tags
red, red eared slider

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com