Shrimp, snails, frogs, etc?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfan88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have only had my 10 gal tank running for about two and a half weeks. It is stocked with 8 guppies, 2 platys and 2 swordtails. I was thinking of getting something to add to the tank, but not another fish, so no bottom feeders. Is it too early for a couple mystery snails or ADFs? Maybe even a couple of rock shrimp or ghost shrimp? (or would the fish eat the ghost shrimp??) any and all advice is appreciated! :)

Melanie

shrimp are pretty tough with those fish I think. The truth is if I were you I might get the ADF frogs because in a few months you will be crawling in guppy fry, and the frogs will probably keep the guppy population in check.

kinda sad, i know. I always liked ADF's though, and RCS are another favorite. My betta eats the babies but enough survive to full size under the driftwood, they breed like crazy too!

also I starved my first snails in a 29 so get a small one to start or plan to feed them. My snails eneded up making me mad as they produced massive amounts of poop in an otherwise tidy betta tank.

if you add plants soon enough you will get pond snails, so look out locally for assassin snails and buy one if you get hitchhikers.

What's an RCS? So you are saying to get just one snail or feed them? Can I feed them algae wafers or something?

12 fish in a 10 gallon tank is overstocked. I would remove atleast 4 before you think about adding anything.

12 fish in a 10 gallon tank is overstocked. I would remove atleast 4 before you think about adding anything.

Thanks for the advice :) I think it's fine though, they don't poop that much, and I can keep the tank clean.

Snails will add lots of poop, trust me they leave a huge mess nodoby warned me.

RCS are red cherry shrimp, I also have ghost shrimp in another tank and find them less attractive than my RCS who are super cute. Ghosts are a little bit creepy. Well named.

Can I just ask for the heck of it what your water parameters are(assuming you have a liquid drip test kit....do you?)

Ghost shrimp are pretty cool, I would put about 8-10 of those, they help maintain your tank clean by eating the leftovers

Thanks for the advice :) I think it's fine though, they don't poop that much, and I can keep the tank clean.

Actually, platies and swords have a lot higher bioload than you think.
I'd like to know what your parameters are as well.

When you say it's been up and running for a couple of weeks, did you cycle it first or has it only been filled for 2 weeks?

I cycled it first. I don't have a test but I can use my dads.

I will probably get red cherry shrimp then :) I didn't know snails poop that much :p

Actually, platies and swords have a lot higher bioload than you think.
I'd like to know what your parameters are as well.

When you say it's been up and running for a couple of weeks, did you cycle it first or has it only been filled for 2 weeks?
I just meant that they don't poop so much that I can't keep up with keeping the tank clean :)

I think most people will tend to argue that an overstocked tank is a ticking time bomb. The fish will grow rapidly and suddenly keeping decent parameters is next to impossible. especially with a new tank and baby fish, the bioload is in a very fragile balance with your BB colonies which have yet to fully establish themselves in your filters and substrate.

That's all, I'm not assuming you have problems yet, but I ditched my ten gallon for a 29 in a matter of months. I have no experience with those two fish, but guppies, neons and Bettas all seem like they do better over time in a big tank at least 20-long

I think most people will tend to argue that an overstocked tank is a ticking time bomb. The fish will grow rapidly and suddenly keeping decent parameters is next to impossible. especially with a new tank and baby fish, the bioload is in a very fragile balance with your BB colonies which have yet to fully establish themselves in your filters and substrate.

That's all, I'm not assuming you have problems yet, but I ditched my ten gallon for a 29 in a matter of months. I have no experience with those two fish, but guppies, neons and Bettas all seem like they do better over time in a big tank at least 20-long

Ok well thanks. If I ever have a problem, I can just move the swordtails and platys to the 130 gal, which has about 80 - 90 inches of fish right now. :)

Ok so, say I did get ghost shrimp or red cherry shrimp. How many would you think I should get? I wouldn't think they would make the tank much dirtier, would you? How about ADFs?

You can put 8 shrimp if you want to
with ADF you are overstocked, I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure

Yeah maybe. I think I will just stick to shrimp for know though. Might do more ADFs again soon though :)

Back
Top Bottom