Smallest turtle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok thank you :) what is maintenance like on a turtle tank? My daughter wants 1 but I already have big fish and don't want another massive commitment lol

Well they are very dirty more than probably any type of fish. They live for a long time so that's a big commitment. My maintenance schedule is pretty much 50-75% water changes weekly

Yea I realise how long they live and that's not a problem it's just that sometimes my aquarium takes up to 3 hours to clean out and I do it at least once a week so I just don't want to add another huge job to the list, but 1 small turtle with a weekly water change and filter clean on a small tank is fine if that's all there is to it? Do they need anything different to fish maintenance? If its basically the same it won't be a problem, I just want to know what I'm getting into before I say yes haha

I also have a musk turtle, but you are going to have a hard time buying one as it is illegal to sell turtles that are under 4 or 5 inches. (in the USA) This is to discourage the sale of baby turtles as they carry more risk of salmonella. Musk turtle owners argue against this as they only get that big. (I saved mine off a busy road in Arkansas) With all that being said, they are good enjoyable pets, but I don't recommend them for kids. One reason is the risk of salmonella and kids putting their hands in the tank and then not washing (lol my sister says she is like having raw chicken in a tank. She is not that bad, but I do wash my hands really really well after touching her tank) Second reason I don't recommend them to kids is that they bite. Not sure about red ear slider turtles (most commonly found in pet stores here in the USA and most likely from a breeder), but Timmy was a wild animal even though I have had her 3 years and is not aggressive, but will totally bite you if you put your fingers with in reach. I have never been bitten, but I know that if she did it would be a doctors visit because of how dirty her mouth is and how strong her jaw probably is. She is very happy not being messed with much, and kids just want to play. If you still do want to get one the biggest recommendation I can give is to put a much bigger filter on the tank. I went through 3 filters in only 6 months to learn this. She I is in a 20 gallon breeder tank (meaning it's longer and not as tall as regular) and I only fill it a bit more than half way (sounds weird but even though she is fully aquatic, she is not that great of a swimmer. She keeps to the bottom unless she is basking or getting air) So even though I only fill it no more than 15 gallons, she has a 55 gallon under tank filter. She is dirty and makes a mess when eating, the big filter also means I don't have to change her water as often and made her go from high maintenance to very low. I also found throwing 3 feeder fish in there help clean up after her. I don't even have to feed the fish, they live 6 months with just eating her food and algae. (she usually eats them after that.) Though if it is a new tank I would feed them as there is not much food in the beginning. Hope this helps. She is one of my favorite pets, super sweet and responsive to me, fun to watch. I love her .

I also have a musk turtle, but you are going to have a hard time buying one as it is illegal to sell turtles that are under 4 or 5 inches. (in the USA) This is to discourage the sale of baby turtles as they carry more risk of salmonella. Musk turtle owners argue against this as they only get that big. (I saved mine off a busy road in Arkansas) With all that being said, they are good enjoyable pets, but I don't recommend them for kids. One reason is the risk of salmonella and kids putting their hands in the tank and then not washing (lol my sister says she is like having raw chicken in a tank. She is not that bad, but I do wash my hands really really well after touching her tank) Second reason I don't recommend them to kids is that they bite. Not sure about red ear slider turtles (most commonly found in pet stores here in the USA and most likely from a breeder), but Timmy was a wild animal even though I have had her 3 years and is not aggressive, but will totally bite you if you put your fingers with in reach. I have never been bitten, but I know that if she did it would be a doctors visit because of how dirty her mouth is and how strong her jaw probably is. She is very happy not being messed with much, and kids just want to play. If you still do want to get one the biggest recommendation I can give is to put a much bigger filter on the tank. I went through 3 filters in only 6 months to learn this. She I is in a 20 gallon breeder tank (meaning it's longer and not as tall as regular) and I only fill it a bit more than half way (sounds weird but even though she is fully aquatic, she is not that great of a swimmer. She keeps to the bottom unless she is basking or getting air) So even though I only fill it no more than 15 gallons, she has a 55 gallon under tank filter. She is dirty and makes a mess when eating, the big filter also means I don't have to change her water as often and made her go from high maintenance to very low. I also found throwing 3 feeder fish in there help clean up after her. I don't even have to feed the fish, they live 6 months with just eating her food and algae. (she usually eats them after that.) Though if it is a new tank I would feed them as there is not much food in the beginning. Hope this helps. She is one of my favorite pets, super sweet and responsive to me, fun to watch. I love her .

This thread is a couple months old also wanted to tell you that rule doesn't apply for Musk turtles because of their natural size.

Sorry, I figured that since the aquatic reptiles section is a little inactive on this forum that a month and half would be acceptable. I did think about that and I am sorry that it made you angry.

Back
Top Bottom