Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Aquatic Reptiles, Amphibians & Herpetology
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-12-2017, 07:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Snapping turtle in 125

I caught a baby snapping turtle today, I still can't tell if it's a common snapping turtle or alligator snapping turtle. I'm pretty sure it's A common snapping turtle. I was wondering if I could put it in with my three Oscars one tiger shovel nose catfish and five silver dollar red hooks. I know the temperature would need to be lower probably around 73 or 74. But I was just wondering if he would be OK or if he would need somewhere to get up onto.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1497311384.504398.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	300397Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1497311428.163257.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	300398

Old 06-12-2017, 07:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.walkerrrrr View Post
I caught a baby snapping turtle today, I still can't tell if it's a common snapping turtle or alligator snapping turtle. I'm pretty sure it's A common snapping turtle. I was wondering if I could put it in with my three Oscars one tiger shovel nose catfish and five silver dollar red hooks. I know the temperature would need to be lower probably around 73 or 74. But I was just wondering if he would be OK or if he would need somewhere to get up onto.
Attachment 300397Attachment 300398

The snapping turtle is very small. The Shell is probably two or 3 inches not even that.
Here he is compared to a digital thermometer

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1497311566.536377.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	300399

Old 06-12-2017, 08:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

first snapping turtles eat fish or any thing that moves even other turtle. Lg Oscars and shovel nose cats eat baby turtles. The turtle needs to have a sand bottom to cover himself his water depth should be so he can lay on the bottom and reach his head out of the water. snapping turtles have long necks . the water depth so his nose can reach the surface, drift wood or opana wood is good.dont put him in that tank turtles can drown.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by idol1 View Post
first snapping turtles eat fish or any thing that moves even other turtle. Lg Oscars and shovel nose cats eat baby turtles. The turtle needs to have a sand bottom to cover himself his water depth should be so he can lay on the bottom and reach his head out of the water. snapping turtles have long necks . the water depth so his nose can reach the surface, drift wood or opana wood is good.dont put him in that tank turtles can drown.

Ok thank you
Old 06-12-2017, 11:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you know the myriad of parasites and general awefullness that little guy is most likely carrying? I really hope you didn't put him in that already fragile tank??

Tags
app, snapping, turtle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com