Startup PDF Vuvarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never thought of that but it makes sense. I wanted to put them in the viv for the best lighting but was concerned with moisture. Never even thought of the frogs. I have been to dendroboard it's a good site.

Well finished trimming the foam and got the viv back upright and I think it looks awesome. The soil stuck to the foam very nicely.

No I'm not doing a false bottom, I am putting hydro balls down then fiberglass screen then coco husk topped with soil. I'm using jungle bed for soil. I don't really like the appearance of a false bottom plus you would get better filtration with hydro balls, will act like an aqua duct, plus whatever crud the balls absorb.

This is true, I'm placing the pump as far from the drop point of my water feature as possible. Time will tell I suppose.

Ok so I am finally done assembling now I just need my plants. After cleaning and or rinsing everything I started. The water feature was a nightmare but I think it looks awesome. Took alot of fudging and trying different things but I finally outsmarted the water, barely lol. I am using hydro balls covered with fiberglass screen. I then layered an inch of coco husk then my soil on top of that. I also picked up a mister and it works awesome. Totally worth it, it has a great spray and it's silent. I can't wait for my plants to arrive to finish off the landscaping. Hopefully Canada post doesn't strike as that is how they being sent, fingers crossed. Feel free to share your thoughts and ask questions if ya have them.

Thanks siva. It was alot of work, which I enjoyed, and was definitely worth it once the final product came together. Now just sitting back waiting not so patiently for my plants and food cultures to arrive which will likely not be till the 17 as they will most likely be shipped with the frogs. Gonna be a loooooong two weeks lol.

Lookin' good! Can you upload a pic or a link of your mister? I'm looking into different misters for my vivaria.

I got the Exo terra monsoon rs400. I had a zoo med habba mist that came with my tank and it didnt spray much so I bought the monsoon which is a nice unit.

Well as promised here is a few shots of my viv planted. I just got the plants today as ups delivered them on Tuesday TO THE WRONG ADDRESS. I have carpet moss and feather moss throughout, tried to keep one kind to the background and one to the substrate. I also got a free piece of some form of tropical moss to try out and report back to the distributor how it does, this is on the coco hut so I can easily see it. The broad leafed plant is an orchid and the plant to its left is a begonia. I also have selaginella on the water feature to hide the hose, and a different variety of selaginella to the right of the water feature in the soil. To the left of the water feature is a pilea microphylla and I have a few pieces of peperomia prostrata across the base of the background as well as in the background.

So today is the day, I got my frogs and they are freaking awesome. I got Dendrobates auratus el cope and they look spectacular. I got four frogs and they all survived the flight to get here. Best of all I didn't have any hastle getting them unlike my plants. I put them in the viv and they all took off up the walls and are now slowly checking out their surroundings. I have also found success with my fruit fly cultures. My first attempt is now yielding larvae (maggots) to bad they are so small or I could have bait too. I used an instant mashed potato mix mixed with roughly equal parts sugar and then added a pinch of yeast then some fruit juice to liquify. I then sprinkled sugar on top aswell as some activated yeast(which acts as a mold inhibitor). My first attempt ended up pretty thick and my second was about the consistency of apple sauce and both seem to be doing well. It's a pretty easy and cheap concoction and I think it's pretty fool proof as long as you add a good amount of sugar. With my culture I originally ordered I started to get some death so I threw a couple apple slices in and everything seems well. According to the research I've done mites pose an issue with fly cultures so it's recommended to get insecticide paper which I have to do tomorrow.

Wow beautiful set up! I wasn't around for a while and I missed the completion of this. The tank looks so nice! I want to see more of those froggies! More pics please!

Well here is a decent one, I don't have alot o pics on my phone. I have been having difficulty culturing my fruit flies. Got one of three cultures to actually work. If anyone has a good technique pass it on I'd like to try it.

Thanks siva how's your little guy doing? I have been having fly trouble, can't get a culture to take for the life of me.

Back
Top Bottom