Startup PDF Vuvarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdpuffer

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am starting this thread to track my progress setting up my vivarium for my Dendrobates auratus el cope. I will be updating with pictures and info as I progress through the process. This is my first DIY project and first vivarium. Stay tuned for updates coming Tuesday once I pick up the terrarium and start plugging away.

How interesting! I have that in the back of my head as a "someday" tank. Never had a vivarium or a PDF, so I would have lots to learn first. Some day.

Glad to know there is interest, siva suggested I start a thread tracking my progress. I am currently trying to decide on a background technique, Elimated the clay background, the clay must be kept wet or it cracks and erodes if using a waterfeature. I'm left with cork bark or spray foam. Google is deffinately getting a work out lol.

Well I start the build Tuesday, and want to get it done ASAP as my plants hopefully arrive at the end of the week and have my frogs set to arrive on June 17, wanted to leave enough time for everything to cycle and establish before the frogs go in.

Well after looking at page after page on vivarium backgrounds I've settled on cork bark. Spray foam is said to be non toxic after it's cured but I dislike the appearance of it from the exterior and don't want to paint black silicone all over my viv (which is about the only option) I'm also not sure of how long it will last since the process involves siliconing a coco fibre/peat moss mix to the surface of the foam. I fear over time it will erode and leave me with black silicone for a background. I'm planning on adhering my cork bark with aquarium safe silicone which is also clear, to get the best viewing and best cosmetic appearance I am only covering the back of the viv. After doing research I have found cork bark supports plant growth without adding pots into it and will also grow moss. Cork bark also looks appealing and will look even better after it's grown in. I will post a pic of the bark once I have it since I can't find a decent sized/quality photo of it online. I have also looked into seeding the viv with springtails. I will be seeding it since springtails are very helpful at keeping the viv clean and double as food for the frogs. They will eat fungus and mold that may develope in the viv along with the frogs waste. I will also be culturing flightless fruit flys which will then be dusted with essential vitamins and minerals to keep the frogs healthy and well nourished. My goal with this build is to build a visually appealing vivarium that is as close to self sustaining as I can get it, with the frogs needs and natural habitat kept as the top priority. The auratus frogs are primarily terrestrial (ground dwellers) so I will be keeping that in mind with the layout. My viv is a 18"x18" footprint that stands 24" tall so I'll have my work cut out for me.

This is the species of frog I am building the viv for. It is a Dendrobates auratus el cope (turquoise and bronze) I am ordering four jouvenile frogs with the plan being to establish a breeding pair out of the four. I don't even have the frogs and have two friends that want some already. The frogs are coming from understory enterprises, the only breeder I found in Canada. They have a huge selection of frogs available aswell as all the stuff you need to get into PDF's. From plants and viv supplies to starter cultures and vitamin supplements. Canadian residents should check them out. Like I've said they are the only breeder I've found in Canada. Be aware i am purely a customer of understory and have no affilition to them. I personally am ordering everything from them except the terrarium and substrate/background materials. Like I've stated they are the only breeder I've found in Canada and am ordering my plants from them due to convenience since I can get everything shipped together (except frogs) There are lots of breeders I've found in the US but they don't ship to Canada. Plus duty and tax would just add to an already expensive venture. An important note for those wanting to start a planted viv, plants purchased from most greenhouses and garden centers are grown with chemical fertilizers. These are toxic to a planted viv and as such these plants need to be cleaned and repotted in an organic and chemical free soil and left to clear the chemicals from their systems. From what I've read this can take 6-8 weeks, hence ordering plants from understory.

Beautiful frogs and be glad you went with cork bark! I've got a clay background in one of my vivaria and because I didn't keep it moist, it has cracked and started falling apart... Though, clay has a ton of nutritional benefits for plants, so I'm gonna see if I can salvage it somehow. Springtails are AWESOME. My vampire crabs looove to munch on them and the springtails keep the vivarium clean. Can't wait to see some pics!

Well today is the day I pick up my materials, so I'll post pics this afternoon when I get home from the city. Ya I ruled out clay pretty quick. You could mist the crap out of it and smooth out the cracks.

Well got all my stuff today and boy what a pain in the @$$ gonna chill and have a cold one and unwind then start plugging away, background changed but will look even better. Cork panels have become rough cork bark that aren't pressed flat so should add some nice depth. Will post pics once I do a mock up.

Can't wait to see! I saw a tank at petco today I would have loved to use for my viv, it was a 40 tall I guess you'd call it...$149 bucks they wanted for it :ermm:

So here are the first pics, firstly is doing a rough mockup, then cutting. Being cork bark right off the tree it had to be squared up and the two pieces had to be fitted together. Next up I dry fit everything after being cut and planned out my water feature (drift wood in the front) will have a shallow pond infront and to the right of the drift wood. I also tested the flow to ensure the water went where I wanted it to. Now to clean and adhere everything into place. Will be using aquarium safe silicone.

Alright so everything is cut cleaned dried and now glued. Had to make sure I planned out my water feature before hand. Hose and power cord are routed behind the bark. Everything held in place with good ole silicone, aquarium safe just to be sure it wasn't an issue. The cork didn't want to stay put so well so I tried weighing down with books which made it twist so I left it to dry in place naturally. I saved scraps of bark to fill gaps between the two pieces. Now the silicone has to cure for 24 hours before I can continue (48 before adding water) and I'm beat so off to bed. Add more tomorrow.

So got home from work early and started doing some more work. I decided instead of siliconing more chunks of cork to fill the gaps (didn't do it last night, ran out of silicone) and filling the void behind the bark with soil, I would use spray foam. I used small gap and crack filler since it doesn't expand as much and risk breaking glass. Once sprayed I put a generous layer of my soil mix on the exposed spray foam that wasn't going to be trimmed away, then I gently pushed it into the foam. I also laid a quick bead along the silicone on the sides of the bark and also laid soil over it, this was done to hide the silicone gap. That was left to cure and I moved on to my lid. I am an electrician so I had easy access to a diffuser for a fluorescent light fixture, they can be picked up at any hardware store for cheap. my lid has a screen top so it will support the diffuser, if making a lid from scratch get something sturdier. Diffusers are flimsy. I then measured the gaps I needed to cover twice and then marked out the cut with a sharpie and using a straight edge. I have tried different methods of cutting it and found the best is using a sharp utility knife and a straight edge for a guide edge. Watch your fingers. Once cut then file or sand the edge as it can be sharp and fit it on in.

I've tried diffusers for aquariums and had nothing but angry thoughts lol, they just don't have the stability to handle that kind of moisture alone. It condenses and pools on top and pulls the diffuser into the tank. This time ended up being the perfect application. Plus the price was right lol. I'm glad your getting "jazzed" I couldn't sleep Monday night I was to pumped to get my stuff and start building. This is my first ever build. Ive only ever had fish and just bought rock cleaned it and threw it in the tank. I was actually quite flustered yesterday, went into a petshop and they had an issue of reptile magazine with an article on dart frogs. After spending countless hours the last couple weeks researching dart frogs this article summed it all up in a few pages.

I do have one question if anyone can help. I have the exo terra light cycle unit for lighting and it isn't an actual canopy. The lamps just clip into endcaps and are free air wired. I'm trying to decided if I want to suspend the lights inside the viv or just lay them on the top. Any suggestions welcome.

Got any pics of it? From what I've read of dart frogs, I think you should sit it on top because they could potentially climb onto it and get hurt.

Oh, and if you're looking for a great dart frog site, check out Dendroboard. All the guys on there are very knowledgeable and it's quite like an AquariumAdvice just for PDFs

Back
Top Bottom