Tank mates for ADF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gubernaculum86

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am cycling a 5gal hex and was planning on getting an ADF or 2. I was wondering if ghost shrimp or cherry red shrimp would be ok in with the frogs to help clean up a bit.
Also what kind of snails would be good for controlling algae? I was looking at mystery snails but heard they can get the size of a golf ball and poop like crazy, so that's out of the question.

I'd say get several MTS snails. Or nerites. But id avoid shrimp with your frog, until Siva comes in here and says her experience at least. But I know for a fact, ghost shrimp would outhustle 2 adfs for food, if not kill them.

You might be able to do 5 frogs and several snails, just as long as you have a filter.

I've read varying requirements for the amount of space they need. All the way from 5 gal per frog to 1 gal per frog, but the most common I've seen is 2.5 gal so I figured 2 to start with and I'll go from there.
Do nerites reproduce as crazily as MTS do?

Nope. They may lay eggs but need brackish water for them to hatch. They're also awesome algae eaters. I just bought two and they got straight to work on it!

I agree with the 2.5 gal per frog, Gube. And also with the nerites. They are small but effective and come in lots of different colors and patterns. I love mystery/apple snails. I've got 3 in a 60 gal and they are poop factories for sure. And as far as eating algae they are pretty worthless!

Nerites are some of the best snails out there! They are some of the best algae eaters and don't poop as much as other snails! 1 Nerite per 2.5 gal. so you could easily do 2 in a 5 gal. I agree about the shrimp beating the frogs to the food. I have 3 Ghosts in my 10 gal. and if food even comes near the bottom they gobble it up! A Betta might work, but you might have to seperate them at feeding time as I've heard many stories of Bettas eating frog food!

I am cycling a 5gal hex and was planning on getting an ADF or 2. I was wondering if ghost shrimp or cherry red shrimp would be ok in with the frogs to help clean up a bit.
Also what kind of snails would be good for controlling algae? I was looking at mystery snails but heard they can get the size of a golf ball and poop like crazy, so that's out of the question.

ADF's are very social and do best in groups of 3 or more. IMO/E you want to stock no more than 1 per gallon, so I would do atleast 3, max 5. I've found shrimp aren't the best choice. Like many tankmates, they scavenge for food so much quicker than the nearly blind frogs, that it's ends up being difficult to balance getting the frogs enough food and not overfeeding. Also their skin is sensitive and the frogs seem generally annoyed by the shrimps attenna. In a 5 gal I would keep 1 nerite. That's all you should need to keep a tank that size completely free of algae. Mystery snails are actually scavengers, and don't do much of anything in the way of algae clean up, and yes, they do poop alot ;) I have MTS in the tank with them as well, and they do a great job and scavenging any leftovers on the floor that the froggies miss.

Also because the frogs are blind, it's beneficial to feed them in the same place every day, like a little cave. That way they know where to go when they smell the food. If their sensitive skin is damaged they are prone to infections so insepct all plants, wood, and decor that's going into the tank for anything that might hurt them. I use all live plants and they certainly appreciate it. A metal nail file can work wonders to smooth out rough edges and pokeys on decor. Also make sure everything in the tank is firmly planted into the substrate so that when the frogs slam around they can't knock anything over and pin themselves. Frogs often drown this way. Feed them only frog & tadpole bites and thawed frozen foods. I rotate between the two every other day. For baby frogs (which they usually are at the time of purchase) I bump that up and feed mostly frozen foods. Especially avoid other pellet foods and freeze dried foods. They come from warm waters and will thrive at about 80F. :)

IMO a betta is definitely not an option. 5 gals is the absolute minimum for a betta, and they need those 5 gals to themselves. I would not mix frogs or bettas with eachother or anything else in a 5 gal tank.

My beta has his corner for food and the frogs have theirs.. Lol. :)

Well you've just introduced them to eachother. This is not in anyway indicative of long term success. Also your tank is a 10 and this tank is a 5.

Back
Top Bottom