temperature for ADF's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
78 to 80 degrees. I'm pretty sure sand is ok, especially if you plan on hand feeding them, which you should do anyway.

Mmmmm....not totally sure what the optimum ph is. Mine is usually around 7-7.2 and they've been fine. I think as long as your ph is stable, that is more important than a specific number. I have to keep my ph stable by using coral gravel in my filters. It comes out of my tap at higher than 9, then drops to below 6 in a matter of days.

I feed mine once a day, sometimes every other day, at night. I alternate bloodworms one day and frog pellets the next. Just keep an eye on them. You want them to have a gently rounded tummy but you dont want to over feed them. I use a syringe to feed mine. I melt the bloodworms in a shot glass in tank water. Sometimes I'll add a drop of garlic to the water. Suck it up with the syringe and squirt it out in front of the frog, watching to make sure he eats. Lots of times they'll eat right out of the syringe. Its hilarious if they have trouble getting the worm out and they'll pull and fight and do little circles trying to get the worm. they really are adorable.

I agree, 78-80 is the idea range for them. Even a little warmer would be OK, but not cooler.

If the frogs are still babies, I feed a defrosted frozen food most days. I feed my frogs bloodworms, brine shrimp, and mysis shrimp..but you don't have to use all of those, they do love them all though. Adult frogs get HBH frog and tadpole bites every other day, and the frozen food every other day. Just avoid feeding freeze dried foods or pellets not specially formulated for them. I place the food in the same little hidey hole every day. Use a peice of decor or terracotta pot, whatever you'd like, just put the food in the same place every day. The frogs are nearly blind and will have a much easier time finding the food and clearing it out effeciently if you place it in the same place every day.

I recommend live plants if you can, but if not silk would be best. They really don't benefit much from plastic. Their skin is very sensitive so make sure to use a smooth substrate, sand is fine but I prefer smooth stones, and check all plants and decor for any sharp edges that could damage them. I use a metal nail file on decor to round out any edges. Also make sure any decor is planted firmly in the substrate because they have been known to slam into things, knocking them over onto themselves, and then drowning because of course they must surface for air.

I had one drown once and it was my fault. I am SO not handy or DIY inclined, but I made a little cave out of an overturned plastic wine glass with the stem broken off. I carved out a little door but I guess he went in and couldn't find the door and I found him drowned the next morning. I felt horrible.

Aww I'm sorry :( Not your fault, I wouldn't have thought it wouldn't find it's way back out!

There almost blind so its not your fault. I've been alarmed with ADF, because there have been a couple of times when I thought he gotten stuck.

Back
Top Bottom