terrariums/vivariums/paludarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
anyone have good links to websites on creating terrariums? I am looking at creating a plant only (okay, maybe a small animal or two... I should be honest with myself :roll: ) terrarium. I need to look at supplies needed, cost, etc... I google searched it but only found e-stores and foreign sites that I couldn't understand. Thanks a bunch!

*edit* newts and salamanders are approved by my landlord so those would be the creatures... I'd most likely stick with fire bellied newts as I've had some experience with them already.

What kind of animal are you looking for? It's best to build a terrarium around whatever you are planning to keep. I have several geckos and other reptiles if thats what you are looking for.

well, I reviewed my lease and fish are the ONLY creature allowed in the apartments, accept for things like the fire bellied newts that normally stick to only water but can enjoy going on land. So I guess I would want to plan it around creatures like those.

So amphibians are what you are looking for. There are many species of frogs that would fit for what you are looking for. Turltes also like to be in water and on land, but most get to big for most terrariums or aquariums.

yup, I would probably stick with salamanders and newts though just because my landlord has never approved frogs (but did approve firebellied newts). From previous research, I know these guys prefer cooler temps. It would be a partial land, patrial water setup in a 55 gallon tank. I just need to be pointed in the right way for information (the library on campus is closed right now) for supplies needed and expenses.

thanks very much! I have found some more research and now I am getting into the design portion. Here are a few quick sketches I came up with. Of course, there will be plants and branch-like driftwood.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/daisiesofthegalaxy/paludarium4.bmp

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/daisiesofthegalaxy/paludarium3.bmp

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/daisiesofthegalaxy/paludarium2.bmp

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/daisiesofthegalaxy/paludarium1.bmp

any design suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks!

*edit* the links should work now

thanks, czcz! I had found badmanstropicalfish, but the others are very helpful.

I like three and four very much. The waterfall is pretty simple to build actually. My main problem will be coming up with a way to separate the land and water without having to use acrylic/glass and sealant in my tank (so I can use it in the future for something else if I decide to do that). However, if I can't get a replacment for a faulty tank I have then it won't matter. I'll know that by this afternoon.

Two more questions :D

1. Where do you find the eggcrate stuff? I'll need that to dispurse weight and to protect the glass, but also to help with drainage if I try to go the all natural route and have a mini ecosystem.

2. Does anyone know North Carolina's laws (or where to find them) on collecting creatures and plants? I did some research and there are some pretty cool newts, frogs, etc... in NC and I was thinking of making the tank like a mini replica. It would be specific to my location in the mountains (I'm getting excited!).

rubysoho said:
2. Does anyone know North Carolina's laws (or where to find them) on collecting creatures and plants? I did some research and there are some pretty cool newts, frogs, etc... in NC and I was thinking of making the tank like a mini replica. It would be specific to my location in the mountains (I'm getting excited!).

Check your local phone book for a Department of Environmental Conservation, or something similar. Give em a ring and tell them you're looking for local laws on collecting plants and animals. They should be able to either tell you the laws or where to find the details.

You can get eggcrate from the lighting section of a home improvement store. It is used to diffuse flourescent lights. Eggcrate's holes are 9/16" square, 'case it helps you brainstorm for land area.

[quote

I like three and four very much. The waterfall is pretty simple to build actually. My main problem will be coming up with a way to separate the land and water without having to use acrylic/glass and sealant in my tank (so I can use it in the future for something else if I decide to do that). However, if I can't get a replacment for a faulty tank I have then it won't matter. I'll know that by this afternoon.

quote]

Can you use a little black pond type thing set into the sand/gravel? Like a mini pond, do they make those?

I could but I want to be able to view into the water like you would in any normal fish tank. However, it is something I am seriously considering.

BillyZ said:
rubysoho said:

Check your local phone book for a Department of Environmental Conservation, or something similar. Give em a ring and tell them you're looking for local laws on collecting plants and animals. They should be able to either tell you the laws or where to find the details.

E-mail/call these guys...if anyone knows, it should be them: http://www.ncherps.org/

rubysoho said:
I could but I want to be able to view into the water like you would in any normal fish tank. However, it is something I am seriously considering.

Then maybe you could stack up larger river type rocks as the border to hold back the other substrate you use. Is it ok to have the water in all the substrate and just have the sides of it built up higher than the water level? There has to be a way to do it.

See I think it is okay to allow the water to go into the substrate. My LFS has a planted frog tank (terrestrial frogs) with a waterfall. The gravel is maybe 4 inches deep and there is no barrier for the water. This has been set up for years. The only thing they have is a piece of slate holding back the pebbles because they might fall down into the water if it wasn't there. I was planning on putting moss up to the edges of the water and their root systel should help keep the rocks in place. I might strategically place some slate or other larger rocks (it is the mountains, we have plenty!) but I think it will be okay. Also, there will be a good bit of land so any plants that can't handle soggy areas will be higher up in the tank so they have plenty of drainage. And the False bottom made of eggcrate (and propped up with a few cut pieces of pvc piping) should also help keep water circulating easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom