turtle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mnopq11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my red eared slider is producing bubbles from nose inside the water. could it be a respiratory problem?

How is your turtle now? From long ago I remember a friends doing that and just assumed normal but are you having any troubles now?

yes my turtle is almost living with its face inside the shell and hardly moves
it could be due to the cold weather although i have instaleed a water heater inside the tank.
it is acting really ĺazily

I had a slider for a number of years and he always slowed down in the winter. I didn’t heat the water. It could be a respiratory thing as well, if he starts listing to one side that’s quite possibly a lung thing.

turtle acting lethargic sounds like he wants to hibernate not uncommon this time of year
the bubbling is also normal as his body functions slow down.

one of the most common things with turtles is that like to bury themselves during the winter months its there biological clock telling him slow down . try adding a deep layer of sand to make his environment as close to natural as you can , giving him a place to bury himself.

the heater you put in is serving no true purpose except for confusing his hibernation
instinct I would suggest removing it , not allowing the turtle to follow its instinct to hibernate can shorten his life span dramatically .

I do suggest you do some research on your reptilian friend , understanding his built in biological clock and how to keep him as comfortable as you can during the colder months , once you get that extra info and understand it both you and your turtle will be happy ,

I had 2 sliders as a kid when I got them I paid 25cents each I was around 5 years old .
those 2 sliders are still thriving strong in a pond in my parents back yard . those turtles today are about the size of a dinner plate they are also 50 years old , turtles in the right environment
and conditions can live 100's of years

Last edited:
i also have 2 fishes with the turtle
wont they be affected if i remove the heater as they might die
I agree to the point that he is always trying to bury himself by digging in the stones

hello
my turtle is not eating food from 2 to 3 days
I tried feeding him peas also but he did not eat them
i have a heater in my aquarium. Should i remove it although the temperature set is 73°F
he is acting lethargic

hello
i have a heater in my aquarium. Should i remove it although the temperature set is 73°F
he is acting lethargic

You might have better luck with responses if you posted this in the freshwater forum rather than salt water. I presume we are talking about a freshwater turtle rather than a sea turtle? With a reptile of any sort, I would hardly be concerned about them going only 2 or 3 days without eating, however the more lethargic part may be an issue for concern. How big of a tank? How long have you had him? What type of turtle? when and what did it last eat? What are the water parameters of the aquarium?

hello
he is acting lethargic

this question was already addressed weather you use the advice that's up to you

turtle acting lethargic sounds like he wants to hibernate not uncommon this time of year
the bubbling is also normal as his body functions slow down.

one of the most common things with turtles is that like to bury themselves during the winter months its there biological clock telling him slow down . try adding a deep layer of sand to make his environment as close to natural as you can , giving him a place to bury himself.

the heater you put in is serving no true purpose except for confusing his hibernation
instinct I would suggest removing it , not allowing the turtle to follow its instinct to hibernate can shorten his life span dramatically .

I do suggest you do some research on your reptilian friend , understanding his built in biological clock and how to keep him as comfortable as you can during the colder months , once you get that extra info and understand it both you and your turtle will be happy ,

I had 2 sliders as a kid when I got them I paid 25cents each I was around 5 years old .
those 2 sliders are still thriving strong in a pond in my parents back yard . those turtles today are about the size of a dinner plate they are also 50 years old , turtles in the right environment
and conditions can live 100's of years 12-28-2017 11:42 AM

it is a red eared slider turtle
its just 6 months since i bought it.
I cleaned the tank yesterday.
1516117554295.jpg
it last ate this turtle food

Back
Top Bottom