Turtle advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SadSoyBeans

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys, one of my moms coworkers is was trying to give away her turtle tank (for free!). But anyways its a 55 gallon tank I think, and shes giving away the filter and everything in it plus the turtle. Im not sure what species of turtle it is but i will send pictures soon.
But can you guys give some advice for keeping turtles, and i have a few questions
1. Do they need conditioned water, and if so would regular fishtank conditioner work?
2. How often would i need to clean the tank?
3. How much to feed him? (I know i would need to show the size of it but i dont have a picture yet) and also i know you shouldnt feed them in tank cause it will make the filter and tank very dirty.

If you can get a 20 gal garbage can with lid. use your tap water.

Fill the garbage can and use that set water for your water changes.

I always use a air stone and small airpump to keep the water from stagnating. But that's just me.

For feeding out side of his tank. Get a plastic tub High enough that he cant climb out of.

Fill it with water just enough to cover the top of his shell.

I prefer feeding round turtle pellets. The size of the pellet to use depends on the size of the turtle.

I also feed my turtles cut up silversides fish. raw shrimp with out the shell. crayfish , green frogs and bullfrog tadpoles.

They also have to have greens . My turtles love young water hyathens.

You also need to keep a natural cuttlebone in his tank. This is for his shell. He will eat it as he needs it.

If you buy a medium cuttle bone just break it in half and feed it half at a time.

Natural cuttle bone gives him the calcium for his shell development.

You can use Prime/Safe by Seachem, THE BEST!!! I just run a hose from the tap into all my tanks and turn it on at a slow pace and add the necessary amount of conditioner. Been doing this for years. I usually do a water change every 1-1.5 weeks and clean my bio media and filter maybe twice a year. I have 4 turtles and many fish, fyi. I feed my turtles once everyday if not every other day. You can also use calcium tablets(vitamins) too; they dissolve

You can use Prime/Safe by Seachem, THE BEST!!! I just run a hose from the tap into all my tanks and turn it on at a slow pace and add the necessary amount of conditioner. Been doing this for years. I usually do a water change every 1-1.5 weeks and clean my bio media and filter maybe twice a year. I have 4 turtles and many fish, fyi. I feed my turtles once everyday if not every other day. You can also use calcium tablets(vitamins) too; they dissolve
Okay thanks, that prime by seachem is a water conditioner try right? Sorry for the late reply, im a bit busy with school.

Back
Top Bottom