Turtle advise ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pau1parker

Aquarium Advice Regular
Been thinking about getting a turtle , my main question is Does anyone know if one would go well with 2 catfish , a sailfin plec , 4 rainbow barbs, black with red tail shark and clown loach?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't know much about turtles, but I'm going to say no. Also, how big of a tank is this? Those fish get pretty big. And clown loaches should be in groups of around 6 I think.

Its a 70 gal tank , i did have 3 but lost 2 when i had white spot a few months ago , both catfish are corys

My friend used to have some turtles with some fish, and these were no small fish. It was a 100 gallon wall tank with some black moors, about 5-6", and in the next few days the black moors were "mysteriously disappearing. Maybe if you get a small turtle, smaller than the fish, then it will learn to grow up with the fish, and if you feed the turtle well, it might not eat the fish. What I'm saying is that I wouldn't do it because the turtle will end up having a nice dinner. :)

Nils

Haha thats what im worrying about , i will be getting a small turtle if i get one but will think hard about it , just thought it would be a nice addition to the tank :')

Turtles need specialized care and most need a haul out and special lighting/heat. If the can't eat the fish, they bite them.

And they are poop machines.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turtles need specialized care and most need a haul out and special lighting/heat. If the can't eat the fish, they bite them.

And they are poop machines.

Yeahh id be able to make a haul and get all the lights and stuff , might just use my spare tank for him to have?

IMO you should work more on your tank's stock instead of turtles. Cories and clowns should have more fish in their school. I would guess it would benefit the barbs too, as usually they are schooling fish, although im not sure about that sp. Finally, the bottom part of the tank may start to get crowded with the cories, clowns, and the somewhat aggressive shark down there.

IMO you should work more on your tank's stock instead of turtles. Cories and clowns should have more fish in their school. I would guess it would benefit the barbs too, as usually they are schooling fish, although im not sure about that sp. Finally, the bottom part of the tank may start to get crowded with the cories, clowns, and the somewhat aggressive shark down there.

Yeah when i bought the tank they came with most the fish in it now, what fish would you suggest i get to add ?

Yeah when i bought the tank they came with most the fish in it now, what fish would you suggest i get to add ?

I would get more cories and maybe more barbs. Also consider more clowns, or try to regime the one your have

I would get more cories and maybe more barbs. Also consider more clowns, or try to regime the one your have

By cories you mean corys right? Ill definatly be getting more clowns might get 3 more to make 4?

I've had my turtle for almost a year now. Him and my rainbow shark grew up together so he leaves the shark alone but sometimes he will go after my guppies and guppy fry since they are small

Don't count on turtles leaving fish alone. I had a goldfish that lived with my Turtle. ( failed meal) He grew and never any issues.

I did a large water change. The fish was startled and disoriented. Then there was only 1/2 a fish.

You can keep fish with turtles - but be prepared for the fish to get eaten every once in a while-
Some turtles will ignore fish completely- others will eat everything- if you have good hiding places - they will last for a while- if you get cheap fish- and count on one being missing every once in a while it's fine- good treat for turtle

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't recommend putting fish and turtles together your fish will end up a tasty meal for them, even if you get a small one they grow rather quick and will still attack fish

Sent from fish phone

I am going to have to disagree - although it depends on your perspective. On the one hand If your fish tank is for simply for fish and about the fish - than yes, why have a predator in there, some fish will be eaten.
On the other hand, which is my point of view- my objective is to create an authentic mini ecosystem.. Fish are part of that and can co-exist with turtles. Yes The turtles will eat one every once in a while. The fast healthy ones or ones that hide well will survive - In the wild fish get eaten everyday and the best fish avoid getting eaten and survive and spawn. And in aquariums some fish die every once in a while. So, if you are prepared and want turtles I say go for it!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I have 3 small baby turtles and they eat every fish I have tried to put in the tank

Back
Top Bottom