Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Aquatic Reptiles, Amphibians & Herpetology
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2017, 12:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

turtle kiddie pool pond

I see a lot of kiddie pool the plastic ones being used as turtle ponds. They may be ok for some sp. of turtles like the stinkpots and mud turtles,They are lousy for the redear. Ok for baby redears, but babys grow up. The first problem with them and most important is the depth of water is insufficient for adult redears. To test adequate water depth for a turtle is easy turn the turtle on its back if he can swim away with out using his neck to try and right him self,The water depth is suficient,The turtle should be able to swim righting himself by using his feet only.If he or she especialy females have to try and use there necks there in trouble.I have turtles sliding into there pond and landing upside down all the time. especialy if there in a pyramid, one on top of the other.Thats the way they like to bask.Top guy is the look out.Turtles do drown! water depth is important. If you raise the water level to suit them then its high enough for them to climb out. You need a pool with the sides 12 in minimum and water depth of 8 in min.This is especialy important for female redears they grow lg.The other thing that turtles need is calcium otherwise you get deformed shells .I use true cuttlebones I buy in bulk.I go through 8 exlg cuttlebones a month.I do buy bulk turtle pellets, but my turtles get bullfrogs,crayfish,smelts,earthworms and ramhorn snails that I raise.Filter systems have to be lg and sufficient turtles are messy!I hope this helps some of you and may save a turtles life.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you so much for the insight, I have made the mistakes of water depth.. although fortunately no fatalities so far.

Tags
die, pond, pool, turtle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com