Turtle lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GJMattingly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anybody know what light bulbs for turtles? I know UVA and UVB but I only have a 20 long so I was thinking of just getting one of each. But UVB bulbs I can only find in strips. Do they make them like normal light bulbs you could use in a lamp. I just was going to get a heat lamp and a desk lamp then just for light use a little strip I have. Is that ok? Where can I find these UVB bulbs that aren't 30 bucks?

Well online you might find some cheaper ones. And you do need both lighting. For the heat lamp I don't think it would madder that much of what is reflecting the heat.

The UvB would be most important for the basking area, the UVA can be used along with basking or just over the water.
Amazon has a pretty good selection! They /do/ carry the energysaver bulbs, curly-cews! Of UVB and UVA. (Those can be cheaper, usually).
For my smallest turtle, I have a clip able desk lamp with the UVB, shining directly to the basking area. As long as the UVB is shining directly on the area, it will work. UVB can't go through glass!

Back
Top Bottom