turtle not eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bravesfan0111

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I recently won a red eared slider at a carnival and am trying to start to raise it the correct way. I have him in a 10 gallon tank with a log for basking. I have a filter in his water and the water temp ranges from 78-82 degrees. I noticed that he is not eating at all. I went to PetSmart and bought him a little feeder fish to see if he would go after the fish. When I put the fish in the water the turtle did nothing. But about 5 minutes later I noticed that the fish was dead and floating in the water. Could this mean that there is some thing wrong with my water. I am looking for advice as to how to handle my non eating turtle. I do not want him to die. Any advice is welcome.
Thanks

Your water quality probably isnt any good. Did you use a water conditioner? What's the temp in the tank, under the water and out? Do you have a heat lamp and uvb bulbs to bask under? It is going to need a much bigger tank as it grows. How much water do you have in the tank? These are some foods to try blood worm,wax worms,guppys,snails. One of the best sites for turtle info is here Care Sheet - Red Ear Slider

Btw welcome to AA

Id do an immediate water change and use a good conditioner. Prime or a reptile water conditioner.

Lighting is a major thing. Without proper lights and basking heat they won't eat.

Baby turtles need water only deep enough so they can stand on their toes and reach the surface. Deeper is ok once they are established.

Try some daily sun. Get a plastic container and let the turtle get some sun with an option for shade. Maybe put a fake plant in there to offer a little security. Don't put a glass tank in full sun, you can bake them.

If you cannot afford a proper set up, return the turtle. Babies get sick very easily. I've nursed many RES back to health. Lost many that were too far gone also.

Id do an immediate water change and use a good conditioner. Prime or a reptile water conditioner.

Lighting is a major thing. Without proper lights and basking heat they won't eat.

Baby turtles need water only deep enough so they can stand on their toes and reach the surface. Deeper is ok once they are established.

Try some daily sun. Get a plastic container and let the turtle get some sun with an option for shade. Maybe put a fake plant in there to offer a little security. Don't put a glass tank in full sun, you can bake them.

If you cannot afford a proper set up, return the turtle. Babies get sick very easily. I've nursed many RES back to health. Lost many that were too far gone also.

Best advice ever! You definitely need a uvb bulb for him to absorb calcium or he will get a bone disease

Best advice ever! You definitely need a uvb bulb for him to absorb calcium or he will get a bone disease

Thanks, that's kind of you to say.

I've managed a couple of Reptile stores in the past and dealt with RES at Petsmart. Some slime ball sells hatchling RES at our local swap meet and sends them out with a tiny critter keeper. Without warning them that a proper set up can run in the hundreds of dollars long term.

There are temp set ups that will keep a baby alive, or you can DIY some of it.

But the proper UV lights and heat and clean water, you cannot skip !!! You cannot WAIT either or they stop eating and die :(

Releasing them is NOT ok either.

There is a ton of great info out there. They are easy turtles once they get size on them. Just super messy and females can hit 12" if you have RES.

Back
Top Bottom