Turtle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

esmie316

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently noticed my turtles shell has two raised pleurals on each side of his body. He's 18 years old and I wanted to know if it was normal ?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400266399.968916.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400266425.091202.jpg

Could be pyramiding, usually a lack of calcium. How much sun light does it get?

About 3 hours a day is that not long enough? He use to sit in front of a window and get sun all day but now I moved him to a shadier place

Someone mentioned pyramiding. Pyramiding is caused by long term over feeding. I use to feed my turtle too much when he was young and now you can see what it has done to his shell. I'll post a photo after. I would recommend giving your turtle more UVB. The stuff your turtle absorbs from the sun can not be absorbed through a window so if you don't have I would recommend getting a UVB lamp.Your turtle looks to be full grown so It might not make a difference. What do you feed your turtle?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400300944.637296.jpg

Yeah UVB can't travel through glass, I've got a UVB lamp I leave on for 12 hours a day maybe don't need it quite that long but like to give the turtles options to get out as and when they want. Also the food can make a difference do you feed a lot of pellet food?

Mostly pellet some veggies/ fruit and sometimes fish/cooked chicken

Every other day sometimes I skip 2 days

That's how I feed my guy. I mix up what I feed him. I only feed reptomin pellets, lettuce, and sometimes minnows. Your gonna say that's a pretty boring diet but sometimes simple is healthy. Remember when ever you feed your turtle only feed as much as can fit in there head. What I mean by this is pretend your turtle's head is hollow. Only feed enough so that you fill there head, no more than that. Make sense? I know it sounds like a weird rule but you have to do it. Turtles don't when there full and they will eat tell they throw up. Btw how big is your tank?

I did not know that. I knew not to over feed him but not the head thing. THANKS.... Maybe I've been over feeding him?

Back
Top Bottom